chapter twenty seven

On January 4th, 2021,
David Smith passed away due to a cocaine overdose.

____________

Isla opened her eyes, blinded by the sunlight coming through her window.

Wait, why was it so bright out? Why didn't my alarm go off yet? Usually it's only sunrise when I wake up-

Holy shit, Isla thought as she realized that she was late for school. Her alarm didn't go off, and therefore she was now already three hours late. It was 11 am, and god had she overslept a lot. She had stayed up late on the phone with Delilah the night before, and went to bed at 3am.

She groaned as she realized she must have missed her ride to school. Well, now she wasn't even sure if she was going today or not. What was the point anyways? As soon as she got there, (if she could even get a ride) it would already be the end of lunch.

Isla sighed as she got up out of her bed and began to get ready.

Her mom must have heard her getting up, and walked into her room.

Her mother had dark circles under her eyes, and her eyes looked glossy.

Isla didn't really overthink it at all, since she just assumed her mom had stayed up late fighting with her step dad again.

"Hi, princess." Her mom greeted.

Isla looked up to her mom in slight shock. Her mom hadn't called her princess since she was maybe eight years old, so why was she doing it now?

She didn't want to question it though. "Hi, mom. I overslept. Can you give me a ride?" She asked.

Her mom took in a deep breath. "About that.. I don't think I want you going to school today."

Isla nodded. "Oh. Okay, I mean I already missed half of the day so-"

"I need to talk to you about something." Her mother's tone seemed to change. She seemed very serious, and Isla began to get concerned.

"What? Is something wrong? What happened?" Isla asked a million questions at once, beginning to get anxious.

"Calm down, baby. It's okay." She assured.

Her mom closed the door to Isla's bedroom, and sat down on Isla's bed, to which Isla did the same.

"What's wrong?" Isla asked.

Her mom sat quietly for a long moment, taking deep breaths in and out. In and out, over and over again her unsteady breaths were all to be heard in Isla's quiet bedroom.

"You know I love you, Isla?"

Isla nodded. "Of course."

Even though her mom didn't tell her it that often, Isla always knew her mom loved her. Sometimes she had a hard time showing it, but Isla never doubted that her mom loved her.

"And I'm here for you. And we're going to get through this together, I promise. If you need to ever talk, I'm here." Her mom assured.

Well, now Isla was really confused. She appreciated the sudden affection, but she didn't understand where it was coming from. And what was she talking about, 'we'll get through this together?'