chapter thirty one

The last bell of the school day rung, signaling that the day had ended. Everyone happily filed out of their classrooms, and most people (including Isla) went to their lockers to put away their books.

Isla smiled to herself as she remembered the surprise Chris had promised her earlier. She was excited to find out what it was, but even more excited to finally get her step dad off of her mind for once. A relaxing evening was just what Isla needed.

As she put her textbooks away, she met up with the triplets. She didn't know wether her and Chris would walk to their mystery destination, or drive so she had to ask.

"So, is Matt driving us or are we gonna walk?" Isla asked, hopping into Matt's car and setting down her backpack.

"Matt can drive us. I already told him where." Chris answered.

"Where are you two going?" Nick asked out of curiosity. Clearly he also didn't know what the surprise was.

"It's a surprise." Chris told Nick, while he turned around in his seat to grin at Isla.

Isla rolled her eyes.

"Alright, here's our stop." Chris turned around to Isla once again, and Isla looked out the window to see that they were at a Seven Eleven.

Isla's eyebrows furrowed. "No offense but.. you took me to a gas station as a surprise?"

Chris scoffed in offense, and Isla was even more confused.

"Iz, are you serious? Remember when Marylou used to drop us off here to get slushee's?"Chris shook his head in disbelief.

Isla gasped. "Oh my god how could I forget! I'm so sorry." She chuckled.

Chris chuckled. "It's okay."

Isla grinned. "I remember I used to always get a red slushee, and you got a blue one."

"Yeah. And then we'd regret it afterwards while we had brain freezes." Chris laughed, and Isla joined in on his laughter.

Matt cleared his throat. "Uhm- I kinda want to, you know, get home if that's alright." He muttered, and the two apologized and got out of his car.

Once Isla walked into the store, she immediately realized she had forgotten her wallet.

"Oh shit." She muttered, as she looked out of the window of the store, seeing that Matt had already drove away with her wallet in his car.

"What's wrong?" Chris asked.

"I forgot my wallet."

"Oh. That's no big deal, I'll just pay for you." Chris shrugged.

"No no, I feel bad." Isla shook her head.

"You always say that. It's cheap anyways. Don't worry, I've got you." He shrugged.

"Alright." Isla gave in, and the two walked over to the slushee machine together.

Chris grabbed two cups, and handed Isla one. He filled up his cup with the blue slushee, and Isla scoffed.

"The red's better." Isla said to Chris, pouring herself a drink.

Chris scoffed. "Pfft, no way."

As Chris turned around to grab a straw, Isla quickly switched their drinks. Once Chris turned around, he didn't realized she had switched the two since there was already a lid on the drink. He put his straw in, and took a sip.

He looked to Isla. "Are you serious?" He giggled, realizing she had switched the two.

Isla laughed with him. "Yeah. Let's see what blue is all about." She muttered, grabbing the blue slushee and taking a sip.