chapter thirty four

Isla smiled in relief as the bell rang, signaling that her third period, social studies was finally over. She had been waiting for the class to end, so that she could hang out with everyone at lunch.

Currently, in her social studies class Isla was supposed to write an essay. Isla always had enjoyed writing, even since she was young. But, whenever a school subject was involved or especially history, Isla despised writing essays. She had been stumped on what to do, and decided to try and start it once she got home. For the whole period, she sat waiting for the class to end.

Most of her classmates had been working and forgot about the time, so when the bell rang they needed to pack up. But the second that the bell rang, Isla was up and walking out of the classroom door.

She arrived at her lunch table, and was met with Jay, Nick and Matt.

Before Chris began dating Scar, Isla always sat with Chris since the table had seats of two. But, recently Isla would sit alone instead of with Chris, because Scar started sitting with them at lunch.

Isla expected Chris to sit with Scar today, so she sat alone. She made conversation with Nick, Jay and Matt, until Chris showed up.

Once he showed up, he sat next to Isla and put his arm around her. Isla looked up at him, confused on why he sat next to her.

"Aren't you sitting next to Scar?" Isla asked.

Chris looked over to her. "Oh. No, she's not here today."

Something about his answer made her sad. It sounded sort of stupid, but Isla missed when he wasn't dating Scar. Of course, she wants him to be happy, and if he's happy dating her, than she's going to try her best to support it.

But, part of her misses when he would sit next to her, when he used to hang out with her everyday after school. It wasn't his fault, but Isla badly missed the old Chris.

The truth was, Scarlet actually was at school that day. A few days ago, Scar had come over to Chris's house, and things got out of hand, leading Chris to feel uncomfortable. They hadn't talked since, but Chris felt that he couldn't tell Isla about what happened since Scar blamed it all on her.

But, Chris hadn't told his brothers either. Usually, he told his brothers everything. But he didn't want to tell them about the argument with Scar, since he knew their immediate reaction would be to tell Chris to break up with her already.

They obviously didn't like Scar, and were pretty open about it. They constantly told him that if he still had feelings for Isla, then it was wrong of him to date somebody else.

What they didn't understand though, was the reason that Chris had started dating Scar was to get over Isla. Never in a million years would he tell his brothers that though, so his brothers still remained confused on why he was even dating Scar.

As the others arrived at the lunch table, Jay got an idea. "Hey, why don't we go bowling after school?" He suggested, and everyone agreed that they liked the idea.

On most Fridays the group would go out, wether it was to the mall, to watch a movie, to go bowling, or to just hang out at someone's house. They had gone bowling once before, and everyone thought it was fun.

"I'll drive everyone there?" Matt asked, and everyone said that it worked for them.

As Isla sat down at lunch, she began to notice how close Nick and Jay were. She noticed the stolen glances they thought nobody else saw, how it seemed they had so many inside jokes that nobody understood, and how they would use any excuse that came their way to touch each other.

Isla always knew that the two were close, and that Jay was Nick's best friend. But she supposed she hadn't known they were that close as she watched the two interact.