chapter twenty one

For years now, Isla had gone to the Sturniolo's house for Christmas. She would go to their house on Christmas Eve, and stay the night so she could wake up with them on Christmas morning.

Ever since Isla's mother had remarried, she stopped putting in the same effort she once had. She stopped giving Isla gifts for Christmas, her birthday, and stopped celebrating all holidays with her.

Marylou noticed this, and felt horrible. She thought it was awful that Isla no longer got to experience the joy of waking up on Christmas morning to a decorated tree, underneath full of gifts ready to be opened.

She felt bad for Isla, and wanted to make sure that Isla would feel the same joy as her three boys did when they awoke on Christmas morning.

And so she did. She always invited Isla over on Christmas Eve, and bought her gifts to open the next morning.

Isla of course loved it. She didn't really question the fact that her best friend's mom was more of a mother figure than her own mom. She just appreciated Marylou for all she did for her.

Marylou always thought of Isla as her daughter. She figured it was better that she did though, since Isla's own mother didn't take very good care of her.

Every year, it would just be Isla and the Sturniolo's family on Christmas Eve.

So, Isla was surprised to say the least when Chris told her they had decided to invite the whole friend group.

What he didn't tell her though, was that Scar was coming. He didn't know why, but every time he would try to talk to Isla about Scar, he would freeze up. He didn't know why he always froze up.

He thought that dating Scar was the right thing to do, as it would take his mind off of Isla. But it didn't really. In a way, it made him think of Isla more. Whenever Scar kissed him, he would wish it was Isla's lips against his instead.

So, his plan kind of backfired.

Matt picked up Isla first, and helped her bring her overnight bag and gifts inside his house.

Chris ran up to Isla right when he saw her walk in.

"I missed you." He giggled, putting his arms around her in a tight hug.

"Oh come on, it's only been two days since you last saw me." Isla rolled her eyes playfully, escaping Chris's hold.

"Yeah, well it felt like forever." Chris rolled his eyes back in the same playful manner.

Scar walked over to Chris's side and took his hand into hers. She smiled softly at Isla.

Isla's eyebrows furrowed. "Chris! You didn't tell me that Scar was coming. You said it was just the friend group, I would've gotten you a gift, you know." Isla added on after, looking over at Scar.

Scar nodded. "It's fine."

Nick walked over. "I'm gonna need a little help." He murmured, and everyone chuckled and walked inside to help set up their house.

Isla had gotten there early, so that she could set up the food, music and decorations. They weren't really going all out, but they wanted it to be at least pretty nice.

As Isla walked into the living room to set down some candy on the coffee table, her eyes lit up as she saw Marylou.

Marylou's face lit up, and she rushed over to give Isla a hug.

"Marylou!" Isla exclaimed, beaming.

Marylou chuckled. "Hello, Isla. I've missed you. I need you to come around here more often, you got that?"