Eighteen. Atsushi

"Enter." Came the Boss's voice as I pushed the double doors open. I was slightly taken aback when I saw Ryu and Ane-san inside.

"You're awake, how are you feeling?" Ane-san questioned, she always was too sentimental towards me.

"I'm perfectly fine thank you Ane-san. I only overexerted myself, a little rest and I'm back to normal." I could feel Ryu glaring at me from next to Ane-san, what was his problem. He couldn't know could he? No, that's ridiculous, I healed those injuries.

"That at least leaves us with Shin Sōkoku." Mori noted turning his focus back to Kouyou while I made my way to stand beside her.

"May I pose a question?" I asked, ever since I woke up I have been utterly confused and no-one would give me a straight or complete answer.

"You may." Kouyou answered me, I bowed my head in thanks.

"What has happened to two of our executives?" Ryu seemed to look away from me, guess he wouldn't be the one to give me an answer.

"There is an individual plotting to destroy the Mafia, he's made leaps of progress in comparison to previous threats we've had." I was shocked that I was being given this information. This was something an executive should be informed of, not something me and Ryu should be getting involved in. I must have shown a bit of shock in my eyes as Mori continued.

"Due to Osamu and Chuuya being out of commission, you two will be taking up their roles in this mission. You are their proteges are you not?" Me and Ryu both jumped at that and bowed our heads in acknowledgment. Guess this was our problem now.

"Do we have any leads on the individual?" I questioned, despite saying I was fine earlier I could feel my body growing more tired as I remained standing. Maybe if I lean against Ane-san's chair it will make it easier. As I put the tiniest bit of my weight onto the chair I felt my legs give in. Ryu spotted me struggling to stand and before I could say anything in refusal jumped out of his chair and dragged me over so I now sat where he once did. He had then perched himself on the arm of the chair which was next to Mori.

Ane-san had a hint of concern in her eyes for me but I gave her a look as if to say don't worry. Ryu slowly began to explain to me the situation.

"The only information we have is that he is a youngish man, in his mid twenties. He has managed to keep his identity concealed from us for the past ten months. His ability consists of being able to manipulate blood into ribbons which he then uses to manipulate his opponent. However, the individual must have an open wound for the blood to make its way inside to allow him to manipulate them." I felt my mind slowly grow blank.

Blood ribbons...

Manipulate the body...

He... He is... He...

I couldn't form a single train of thought. I felt my breathing begin to grow unsteady, tears began to well in my eyes.

"Atsushi?" Ryu questioned before placing a hand on me. It burned, images flashing through my mind. I yelped in fear and backed away from him, my legs still weren't in a fit condition to stand so when I tried to stand I collapsed immediately to the floor. I pushed myself away from Ryu and Mori. I kept pushing myself back further, being near them stilled an unmistakable fear in me.

I eventually collided with Ane-san's leg. She looked so fearful for me, I closed my eyes in fear of her beating me for being so weak in front of her. I thought she was going to berate or worse beat me for being so emotional, so weak.

But I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around me, when I opened my eyes she was crouched over me. My head tucked under her chin, I pulled myself closer to her. I felt comfort when I was near her for some reason, she was the only one I could stand to be near right now. I'd never felt so comfortable around her before.

So why now?

So why couldn't I be near Ryu?

I was supposed to protect him. I was supposed to keep him safe. That's what my role was.

But how could I do that if every time I was near him fear overtook me and rendered me useless?

How could I perform my role?