CHAPTER 49

Could I use the key for this? I pondered upon reaching the front door. I regretted accepting the boss's request at this point, but I knew it was too late to turn back. I shouldn't have met him. I needed to distance myself as much as possible from him to prevent the unsettling feeling from taking root. No, I had to forget about him for a week or even a few days to regain composure, but inexplicably, I found myself here.

I seemed to have stood there for quite some time. Ultimately, I consoled myself, hoping that the madman wouldn't be inside, and decided to open the door with the key. The door swung open with a beep, and a bright light spilled out, accompanied by a faint, stern voice. It was the madman, speaking angrily in English to someone. The low, powerful voice had already unnerved me before I entered.

This unease at the door completely swept away my earlier concerns. My resolute determination not to let my heart waver dissolved far too easily, and vanished into thin air. After removing my shoes and stepping inside, I spotted him standing near the entrance to the kitchen. He was on the phone, holding an unopened bottle of water while speaking in an angry tone.

He issued a stern warning and roughly ran his hand through his hair. Then, he glanced up and noticed me. It felt as if his words were suspended for a moment, but the conversation quickly drew to a close.

"..."

"..."

We stared at each other in silence, and he was the first to lower his gaze, focusing on the object in my hand.

"Did you come for that?"

That's correct. That's the reason I came. The boss at Alice's instructed me to deliver it. It was a convenient excuse, but I turned it into a question as if avoiding the matter.

"What's going on?"

He raised an eyebrow as if to ask about my meaning. Pointing to his phone with my chin, I asked with a dry tone.

"You seemed angry during the phone call. Did something go wrong?"

"..."

"Indeed, is Chairman Kim bothering you?"

"..."

I repeated my question, but he remained silent. Instead, his expression shifted.

"Why are you smiling?"

When I asked, he approached me slowly, and tossed the water bottle and phone he had been holding onto the table. They made a clattering sound. The water bottle rolled across the table and eventually hit the floor, but neither of us paid it any attention. He stopped a few paces away, wearing an unexpected smile on his lips. Then, he tilted his head to the side and gazed down at me.

"Yes, you."

"..."

"Are you worried about me?"

The question emerged with a light, almost joking tone. It was as though both of us already knew the answer I would provide. I was supposed to respond with curses, like 'Don't be ridiculous' or 'I couldn't possibly be worried about you,' and so on. But for the first time, I found myself unable to speak. Strangely, I no longer felt the weight of the herbal medicine box in my hand. My focus was solely on his shifting expression. Contrary to the smile on his face, his eyes held me even more captivated.

"Lee Yoohan, were you worried about me?"

"..."

It felt like reality had frozen, akin to a photograph. I believed my heart had stopped, but it resumed beating only when he stepped closer and grasped my shoulder. It was only with the warmth of his breath brushing against my lips that my heart came back to life.