Chapter 92 - 『When Their Ashes Are Scattered, May They Find Peace』

Começar do início

Soon enough, snow fell one by one that it's starting to get more chilly than it should be.

Just then, a thought passed by Jiang Fengmian.

He wonders if the sky is grieving with them because the future God of it is mourning.

...What nonsense is he exactly thinking?

Before Jiang Fengmian could think more useless thoughts, he removed his thick robe and draped it on Wei Xun's shoulders.

He himself should be fine. The redhead on the other must have felt cold considering he no longer has a golden core to sustain enough heat.

He knew this because it is what he always do to his wife, to Madam Yu.

Jiang Fengmian didn't know such people could be this frail.

The elder stands up, puffing a small breath of winter air before kneeling and carried the redhead in his arms.

The Sect Leader was surprised for a while to find out how light the redhead he is, and he also just realized that he can already feel the bones in his shoulders when he carried him.

His heart ached again and again.

"Let's get you home, A-Xun."

When he walked back to Lotus Pier, the elders and disciples alike hushed their tones and bowed to the Sect Leader in greeting before walking away.

"My Lady, may I ask you for a favor?"

Yu Ziyuan looks at him with a solemn look before her eyes landed on the redhead in his arms. She beckoned her husband to come closer and lay the redhead on her lap to give him a proper posture to rest.

"What is it?" Yu Ziyuan asks before staring at the names and its urn of her children.

Jiang Yanli, Jiang Cheng...and Wei Wuxian.

Despite him having no ashes, Yu Ziyuan still went on her way to prepare a proper funeral for him.

Small trinkets he possessed, or even the already worn out red ribbon he refused to throw away.

"A-Xun said that they put the deceased in a coffin and bury them in earth. I want to honor his previous life's tradition as well, so I want to put some of their ashes in a box."

Jiang Fengmian really do not need to ask her for a favor like that.

"There is no need to ask me for something like that."

Before Jiang Fengmian could tell her his thanks, Wei Xun stirs awake.

"Madam Yu...you should've woke me up."

The woman just shook her head, "Nonsense, you need rest."

As Cale sits up groggily, his attention was immediately given to the urns that are sitting still.

"Is it...time?"

Yu Ziyuan gave him a somber smile before patting his head, "Yes."

At the same time, Jin Zixuan appeared while carrying his sleeping son. He was accompanied by Xue Yang who was only trailing behind him.

So...they are really saying goodbye.

When the five of them walked, Cale doesn't know where they will scatter their ashes. So he just followed them without question.

What surprised him though was the familiar docks where Lotus Pier receives guests from boats.

Even Xuanwu was there, swimming around and rumbling like a docile turtle it is.

They all stood still for a while, as if they were saying their prayers and last goodbyes to themselves and let the wind carry their wishes.

So Cale did it too, he prayed to himself.

"You...were like a small dot in a white canvas."

He felt like he would cry before he could finish his words.

So this is what Xiao Wang meant when he told him that he was the first person to say those words.

"Full of opportunities...to be made into a masterpiece with the right brush strokes."

His eyes felt hot, stinging and prickling as the tears wanted to fall.

"I'm sorry I was the one who dictated you on how to live your life. I'm sorry I ruined the life you should've had without me in it."

Maybe if he hadn't entered their lives, they wouldn't face such an unfortunate situation that leads to their death.

"A-Xun."

He looks at Jiang Fengmian who called to him then to the urn he is carrying.

It was Jiang Cheng's ashes.

"You...want me to-?"

"Of course. I'm sure they would want it too."

The redhead noticed that they have all finished scattering their ashes, and it is now his turn.

Cale reached for the remains inside the urn with trembling hands. He did not dare to grip his ashes tightly, he held it delicately as he would always do when he's pulling him around and escaping from Wei Ying.

"Farewell...A-Cheng."

Goodbyes are temporary.

"...Farewell...s-shijie..."

And farewells are eternal.

Cale did his best not to make his voice crack and not show his vulnerability at the thought of never being able to see them again.

Because he will never indeed see them again.

"...Here."

Yu Ziyuan gave her three small boxes and held his hand firmly.

"Bury them in the most beautiful place you know."

Ah...

Gods above...

So this is why they chose the docks to scatter their ashes.

It is to make them rest in a place where they all bonded since children, because this place is where they always wait for one another to arrive when they went someplace else.

It was also because the view here is magnificent, and it is also because it is where Cale would always watch the sun set over the mountains.

It is a place where they would all join him and watch something so mundane.

At this point, Cale could not stop his tears from falling down anymore.

Yu Ziyuan watched him with a melancholic look before wiping away his tears.

"When their ashes are scattered, may they find peace. But most of all, we don't want you to blame yourself for something out of your control, A-Xun."

Jiang Fengmian walks closer and pats his head softly, "We hope you also find your peace."

Jin Zixuan didn't speak but he walked closer to show his approval to Jiang Fengmian's words, and Xue Yang did the same.

Cale simply held the boxes in his hands more firmly before sobbing to himself.

He does not deserve this, at all.

So why does he feel comforted at such words?