Military Days: Marching Out of Step

It was clear from my first day in boot camp until my last day of active duty that I had zero business being in the military.  I couldn't march.  I was unacceptably out of shape.  I'd forget the strangest things.  My work performance was far below my paygrade.

Yet I graduated from Electricians Mate Class "A" School with honors.  I graduated from Naval Nuclear Power School, arguably 1 of the toughest schools in the United States.  Granted, this paragraph seems to be utterly at odds with the previous paragraph.

However, academic performance and job performance are often unrelated.

•  Now?  I could tell you several things that few others can.  And, if I did, then you might want to listen with some degree of attention.

About the only thing that I was good at (some of the time) was being a roving watchman.  Which might qualify me as a nightwatchman at a low security instillation, such as a public marina or a shopping mall.

It was my recreational activities that have served me best, now that I'm "retired."  I had some success at playing roleplaying games.  Presently being a natural philosopher, what I learned in Naval Nuclear Power School has been quite helpful.

Since nuclear submarines are enclosed habitats, after a fashion, I have some practical basis for imagining how larger habits might function either underwater or off-world.  Say, in orbit, or on Mars or the Moon.

****

Note: off-world, everything must be recycled both rapidly and efficiently.  The technologies that would permit this frugal efficiency could, potentially, help millions (or even billions) of people here on Earth.

Take technologies aimed at both water conservation and recycling.  This could help people in the United States.  Like...

RIGHT NOW.  No lie.  No joke.  Anybody see the market potential there?

Anybody??

****

As a science-fiction writer, what I experienced and learned in the navy has been quite useful.

I do regret how much I drank when I was enlisted.  All getting drunk ever really accomplished was getting me even more depressed!  Plus having a lighter wallet.

My financial prowess at the time was frankly abysmal.  Also, we were encouraged to buy treasury bonds ... because the interest rate that the Federal Government owed on those bonds was lower than what it would owe otherwise. 

•  I kid you not!  That was the Navy's sales pitch!

However, they didn't explain how to pay taxes on the little critters.  See, the interest rate on them depended on when they would be cashed in.  So, how do you pay income tax on an investment that seemingly has 2 different interest rates simultaneously?

I wonder if the Navy is still telling baby blue squids to finance the Federal Government.  And, if they are, are they even bothering to explain how that impacts taxes?  I suppose they would expect people to research that on their own.  After all, the primary goal is probably to help the Federal Government, not military personnel.

•  Yes, this is me being cynical.

But, hey: I am a veteran.  A bit of cynicism and/or healthy paranoia is a viable survival skill.

After all, I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.  (I hope.)