Disclaimer

My brain lives inside of this little box called my skull.  I tell you plainly, the view from there ain't always pretty.  In my Christian walk, I've been a sinner, a saint, and a heretic.  If you want to upset me, then call me "a good person," or "a good man."

To offend me, call me "righteous."

Not to worry, I'll get over it quickly, plus I forgive you in advance.

As for my presently active heresies:

#1:  I believe in one God, one Faith, and one Baptism.

#2:  I sometimes pray both for and about angels.

#3:  I actually like women.  I hold naught against either Eve or Mary Magdalene.

#4:  Additionally, I in no ways conscious blame the Jews for killing Jesus Christ.  The Romans were in the mix, and I could call myself an Italian American.  To find fault with the Jews would require me to equally blame my own ancestors, their spouses, plus all of their descendants.

Being single, this includes both myself and my birth family.

Frankly, that would be stupid — in my opinion.  Besides, everyone physically involved in Jesus Christ's crucifixion is already dead.  Hence, in a spiritual sense, they're fast asleep.  Let them rest in peace.  Hasn't enough innocent blood been spilt since Christ's crucifixion?

Enough.

When is it going to be enough?  I am offended, my brethren.  As is my God.

Enough!

Most important of all: Jesus already forgave them because they didn't know what they were doing — meaning everyone involved:

Jew.  Roman.  Foreigner.

And, by way of grace, you (the audience), myself, Mary Magdalene, Adam, and Eve.

As a Christian, why should I accuse those whom my Master has Personally forgiven?  If I were to have any issue with the Apostle Paul, then this may (or may not) be its kernel of truth.

At the very least, I believe that he would be horrified at the way some of his writings have been used as excuses for great atrocities, and for the belittlement of women and girls.

By extension, if Jesus Christ looked upon women with courtesy and respect, then who am I to say otherwise by any measure?

Look.  People are people.  In the Bible, people are often compared to sheep.  In the Animal Kingdom, sheep are NOT the geniuses!

Nor are they good at riding dinosaurs — I think.

I could be wrong.  Hmm...

*

Note: some people dislike the Apostle Paul for many reasons.  Methinks some things are easily misunderstood even when presented in plain language.

Do I despise the Apostle Paul?  No.  I uphold Jesus Christ as the example for how women and girls are to be both considered and treated.  On this point, as a man, I count myself imperfect!

For shame.  For shame.  This is a matter about which I've much room for improvement.

Calling myself by any "religious" label is beginning to perplex me.  I've been "Protestant," "Nondenominational," "Latter-Day Saint," "Seventh Day Adventist," and "Pentecostal."  I've considered, a few times, Roman Catholicism.

Since childhood, I've experienced maybe ten or more "pastors."  Recently, I've started watching various "religious" / "faith-based" documentaries.  One has to be careful, though, with such things.  It's important to discern the agenda of each documentary's creators, distributers, and participants.  The same goes with both churches and denominations.

(By the way, this philosophy can be extended beyond both Christianity and other religions.  It certainly applies to clubs, "societies," and political allegiances.

(Let me be clear.

(Before joining any social, political, or religious group or organization as a "member," investigate their philosophy, location, dogma, and leadership.  Are all of these matters safe for you to be associated with as 1) a novice, and 2) a full-fledged member?

(Beware of the ancient "bait and switch" trick.

(Namely, what's shown to the public and/or recruits may not match their internal beliefs, practices, and expectations.  This style of deception is still active nowadays.  Exercising wise caution differs greatly from paranoia.)

Relatively recently, I attended a small seminar in Washington State (USA).  The seminar's topic concerned how Colonialism and Christianity have historically, and culturally, impacted each other.  It was put on by a black woman who'd diligent studied and prepared.  Being a white, American man, the well-designed seminar impressed me significantly — especially its content and its presentation.

A new paradigm for me is this:

*  That much of what's religiously, and theologically, familiar to me is — perhaps — more cultural than Biblical.

What's historically true is that Christianity has been used to justify mistreating conquered people, including:

1)  Inhumane slavery, genocide inspired by pure greed, forced migrations, and religious persecution.

2)  Abusing women and girls: physically, emotionally, politically, et cetera — ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Much of this behavior extended (and still extends) into the conquering nations themselves, the United States included.

*  I'm sorry, but even I must admit that that above scenario is horribly wrong!  How can I belong to THAT specific "Christianity?!"

Good question.

I belong to my Master.  The Holy One Of Israel.  The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Immanuel.  To explain why might require a whole book instead of this one essay.

What I'm presently concluding is this:

That I've more to unlearn in this life — than I've time left in this life to learn.

*  Yet, that may miss the mark.  The goal, therefore, is to strive for compassion more so than for knowledge.  Even so, wise knowledge is still desirable.

Now do you see why I call myself a "heretic?"

I've feet of clay, like any man.  My sins lie before me as tasty morsels spread upon a feast table.  Yet I'm to regard them as bitter bile.  This comes neither easily nor naturally.  I'm no more or less than any man in this regard.  Yet I'm to esteem all as better than myself, although the word "better" seems woefully inadequate.

Moreover, false humility, like narcissism or arrogance, is an expression of pride.

Then, how can I see myself clearly?  Alas, I cannot!  The following two wise proverbs comfort me:

1)  Anyone who aspires to lead must more fervently desire servitude.  One cannot rightly lead those whom one is unwilling to serve.

2) "People are people.  Don't expect them to be anything more than that."  [Pastor Bill, quoting one of his mentors.]

• {As a fledgling minister, Bill asked the man for the most important advice that he should know as a pastor.  Hence: "People are people.  Don't expect them to be anything more than that."  At the time, Bill's attitude was, "That's it?!"

{However, as Bill gained experience pastoring, he realized that the advice is true.}  12/14/2023

Ok.  Maybe a third [wise proverb worth believing]:

•  "Don't look a gift gerbil in the mouth."  Seriously.  Why would you do that?  Ever?

*

[O.  You're a rodent dentist.  Never mind.]

[PS:  Um.  Make sure that you're NOT holding that gerbil backwards.  Please.  That would be embarrassing...]

For The Gerbil

[A little reminder.  Just in case you've forgotten that I'm a horrible person.  You're welcome.]