2) January 7, 2021: Part 2

Again: minimalistic editing / formatting.

26 October 2023  [12/11/2023]  [12/22/2023]

***

[Emotion: uneasy acceptance -- but of what?]

Before I look at any more [sic] "news feeds," I am taking a moment for introspection.  And, yes, I have taken some thought about what I want to say and (more importantly right now) what I don't want to say.

Sometimes great truths come disguised as "clichés."  The following applies to journalism, and to so much more:

-Whenever there is an argument between two parties, there are three sides to the story: one side, the other side, and the truth.-

-The truth may set you free, but first it will make you miserable.-

And a "homegrown" one:

-In an elephant herd, it is the job of the old bucks to keep the young bucks in line.-

What triggered my editing of myself in my first entry, and my present caution, is this:

First, I wanted to express, and share, an honest, gut level response to the turmoil that my country is presently facing.  However, I took the time to watch an episode of a documentary TV series on the subject of Internet trolls.  The basic premise was the how and why [there are] victims of malicious Internet bullying.  The show showed some victims of Internet bullying facing their bullies face to face in order to get closure.

Soon after I turned off my TV, I "unpublished" my original entry.  Then I edited it extensively.  Moreover, I have not yet republished it.*

[Publishing this or not, is a decision in progress.  If you are reading this, then I have committed myself to this project.]

Words have power: to heal and to wound.  The Internet allows one to do both -- sometimes at once.  Of what value is healing my pain if in doing so I increase someone else's pain needlessly?

Let me be clearer:

When public opinion becomes inflamed, even the words of a peacemaker will cause great offense.  Therefore, the objective is not to be afraid of causing offense.  The objective is to measure one's response and output -- and then to own it.

This seems hypocritical since I am using a pseudonym, right?

Yes, and no:

I plan to use this pseudonym much like Stan Lee, Mark Twain, and Dr. Seuss all used theirs.  Therefore, like founding a company or using a stage name, it is my public front.  Hence, muddying it is extremely counterproductive, especially since -- in due time -- my personal name will eventually become known publicly.  Until then, as far as you, the reader, are concerned:

I am Macbeth Raymondovich.  And I own my words.

*

In politics, as well as in journalism, the Internet allows one to both witness and express unedited opinions.  So do all forms of "social media."  Sometimes, even when one takes time to edit themselves, what we put out into the ether comes back to haunt us.

For instance, some of my own feedback on Wattpad may have caused considerable offense.  Even if it has caused only minor annoyance, I do sincerely apologize.

That said, I will now pause while I contemplate whether or not to take a sterner tone.  You see, part of how the USA has gotten itself into its present quagmire is that, frankly, as follows:

A lot of people are acting, and reacting, irresponsibly -- myself included.

So, I'm putting myself in a "time out."

*

Ok.  There are a few things that I want to see if I can voice them clearly.

1) Using a nuclear power plant metaphor, describing the the [sic] present political situation as a "potential meltdown" seems appropriate (emphasis on "seems").  To wit:

Alarm bells are going off all over the place.  There may be more shouting than listening.  Various groups are probably engaging in emergency damage control.  The media is likely both exaggerating and downplaying the overall situation.  Et cetera and et cetera.

Hmm.  Take a deep breath.  One thing at a time.  By the numbers.

As to the question, "Who's to blame?" start with ourselves [sic].  After all, we can't really make anyone else "do the right thing."  Or even "think the right thoughts."  We are all responsible for our own actions, reactions, and thoughts.

2) It may feel good, or more likely comforting, to focus on our rights -- both individually and collectively.  The thing is, in my opinion, that it is easy to focus on our rights while ignoring both responsibilities and consequences.

Which seems to be the crux of what many are accusing President Donald Trump of doing.  Or, at least, of having done.  (Mind you, this is being written on January 7, 2021.)

So, what are our responsibilities and rights in this present crisis / awkward situation?  I can only answer that for myself.

But I will commit to this:

Please...  Love yourself.  Love your enemies.  Love your friends and families.  And I will try to do the same.  (And if you have a teddy bear, love it too, Ok?  It's probably feeling a little lonely and scared right now.)

3) To President Trump: love you, man.  I did before.  I plan to do so tomorrow.  It may be an imperfect love, but it's what I have and what I feel.  Keep the faith, and God bless you and your family.

It took me years to cry for Nine Eleven.  I am unashamed to write that I am crying now.

[ditto while editing]

Shalom.  Peace be with thee.

*

-deep breath-

*

Decades ago, a relative pointed out to me that I go to extremes.  I cannot deny that.

So [sic] I am going to permit myself to be both facetious and sincere.  Although I may delete the next "chapter" later, Ok?

If I ever become president -- as ridiculous as that sounds...

TO BE CONTINUED??