30

TW: Drug use and mentions of child sexual abuse. These next few chapters will be a little more crass, fair warning. I don't think this one needs markers, but I'll use *** a few sentences before they start on the next one.

1 Week Later
Hatsume is still biting away at her nails when Power Loader finally arrives home.

The Hero Commission had dropped her off in front of the shuttle stop, and as soon as she was through UA's gates she went straight towards the teachers apartments. All students were given fobs to the building after the phone lines went down but she must have banged on his door for twenty minutes before slouching against his door.

Mr. Maijima takes one glance at the bright pink locks and drops his bag, rushing over to her, "Hatsume!"

He meets her on the ground, panic flooding him when he sees her lip trembling, "Are you hurt?"

She shakes her head.

Tears fill his eyes, "Can I hug you?" He asks.

Her voice cracks high, "Please."

He wraps his arms around her, holding her tightly as she shakes.

All he'd been left with was a note signed by the Hero Commission saying they needed his student for a project, that they got permission from her moms. He was frantic, unable to find anyone in the Commission who knew about her or her moms who were overseas.

"I'm so glad you're safe," he whispers.

"I... I am."

She had to pull herself together. For Deku.

Who wasn't here. Who left her with ominous words that scared her to her core.

She takes a deep breath, swallowing the knot in her throat she pushes him away gently, "I need your help."

"Anything."

Though her legs shake, she stands, grabbing her bag from the ground. She couldn't rest until it was done. She explains quietly that she needs to talk to Aizawa and Yamada, immediately.

Without further questions, he leads her down the hall and up the stairs.

She goes everything her friend had said the day before.

"Thank you," he'd whispered over a cup of coffee as she packed, "For being my friend. For helping me. I may not have deserved it but I'm so grateful that... that I met someone like you."

The unprovoked comment sent chills down her spine, "Stop it," she turned to him, "After this whole shitstorm passes you'll come back to UA. Stop acting like this is goodbye.

His eyes wouldn't meet hers. He just stared into the empty space in front of him, "Mei, I... I can't go back."

There... there was no way someone as driven as Deku had agreed to this project for nothing in return. He was kind, yes, but he wasn't kind enough to be holed up in a basement working his ass off without an agreement that would benefit him, "What?"

"You asked me if I had hurt anyone," he frowned, "I have. Even if it was a step removed, I've ruined other peoples lives. Legally, I can not go back to the Aizawa-Yamadas. And without a sponsor, I can't-"

"I'll talk to Mr. Maijima," she argued, "He can take you in."

"No. He can't," he said firmly. He looked... defeated. But sure, "Because I don't want to go back."

She was stunned. He had never lied. She specifically had asked him if he'd hurt anyone out of malice, not for defense or survival- and that was still the truth. So saying that he doesn't want to go back, it was true. But how could it be?