Chapter 53

Sophie's POV:

Sophie sat at the edge of her bed. the soft sheets bunching up around her as she stared off into space. She had been thrilled when the Vackers offered to let everyone stay at their house, happily offering up guest rooms and spare PJ's so everyone could stay together for awhile, awaiting the news of the Neverseen's imprisonment and other important matters like when foxfire would start again. 

Iggy's impatient squeaking brought her out of her thoughts and she looked down to see him twisting around trying to pull her fingers back over to his soft, chubby belly. He had been overjoyed when Biana brought his cage into Sophie's room. Biana claimed that he had been scared out of his wits for days while they were trying to locate her and wouldent let anyone near him. He was now sporting some shiny golden ringlets which Biana and Dex had agreed was the best choice of fur color after his heroic endeavors on the night Sophie was kidnapped... again. She massaged him some more, watching as the metallic curls wrapped around her fingers and he squeaked with happiness. She laughed at his response, "You deserve it my little Knight In Shining Armour." She giggled. She started thinking again. about everything. The Neverseen were finally in prison, shoved in to the deepest part of exile with Dwarves sent by queen Nubiti herself to guard their cells.

Months. That's all it had taken for her life to change... again. And it all started with Keefe's note. To think that this all happened after she freaked out over that little piece of paper almost made her want to laugh. Thinking about how far everyone has come sense then is juts daunting for her. She felt like crying knowing that nobody would really be the same after this. She couldent help but feel like it was her fault. the more she thought the more she could feel the guilt creeping through her. she felt ;like she could snap at any given moment. she felt like a mirror that had been broken and glued back together so many times that the person she saw in it now wasn't even her. Or at least, not the 'her' that she had been. The guilt started pressing against her thoughts again. She knew she shouldn't be thinking like that. She knew guilt was dangerous...

Just thinking about it flashed her all the way back to when Alden's mind broke, shattered under the amount of secret guilt he had been harboring.

Had that really been so long ago? How can time fly by so fast?

"Hey," A voice said quickly from her door. she looked up from her dark thoughts to see Keefe standing in her doorway. His bright smile was an amazing change from the looks she had seen him in for the past month or so. when she did see him that is, usually she was to busy being kidnapped for her to actually be with her friends. for her to actually have a break. the sparkle in his frosty blue eyes had been dimed for so so long. she wished she could see it just one more time. she wished she could go back to her first year in the Elvin world. She wished she could have stopped that first kidnapping that felt like it took place centuries ago. maybe then she could have had a normal few years with her friend's. 

"I'm not really liking the look you have on your face right now Foster." Keefe said, smirking and sitting next to her on the bed. he gave Iggy a quick pat before looking into her eyes. "That's not the only thing that brought you over here though, isn't it?" She asked. over their new connection she could feel his amusement vibrate along that little thread.

He smiled fondly at her and chuckled, "You got that right. Why are you feeling so guilty?" He asked.

She didn't know what it was. if it was the soft, gentle tone in his voice or if it was the caring look in his eyes, but she broke down and spilled everything. Warm tears started flowing down her cheeks and a small sob escaped her lips, "I just... Ugh. I just cant stop thinking that this is all my fault. If I could have just seen the signs that first day. If I'd had realized the wind had picked up before anything happened. Or even back to my very first year here, if I hadn't been so rash and waited with Edaline in the house and talking instead of running off to the beach then maybe--"