Chapter 52 - The Grimm's Frenemy

You found yourself wandering around the place you had once called home. Ever since leaving Portland, you and Sean had worked hard to make the castle in Vienna feel more like home. All it was missing was Marie. But now that you were technically back 'home', it felt foreign to you. While the home had some wonderful memories that you shared with your extended family, like Marie's first steps, her first Christmas, finding out about Nick and Adalind being pregnant, the home also had a shadow looming over it. You and Sean nearly getting killed, your mother's head being delivered in a box, Juliette showing up as a Hexenbiest, and having to send Marie away with Rosalee and Monroe. It felt as though the bad memories were outweighing the good. And it wasn't just the memories that were looming darkly over you.

Everything that had been going on in Portland, and from the way Trubel talked around the world, was troubling you. The Black Claw was clearly a problem, and it made you wonder how long it would take to reach the doorstep of the castle in Vienna. You found yourself staring out the front window, lost in your thoughts, when you felt arms wrap around your waist. You jumped slightly, relaxing when you felt Sean place a hand on your small bump and kiss the top of your head.

"I didn't mean to startle you," he whispered into your hair. You leaned back against his chest, holding onto his arms. "What were you thinking about?"

You sighed. "I just have a bad feeling about all of this. So much has changed since we left Portland." You turned around in Sean's arms so you were facing him. "Portland doesn't feel like home anymore. This house doesn't feel like home anymore. All I want to do is take Marie away from here."

Sean nodded as he leaned his forehead against yours. "I know. I feel the darkness looming over us here, too. But we need to address Black Claw now before it spreads even more."

"And how do you propose we do that?" You ask as you looked up into his eyes.

"I'm going to have Nick reach out to Bonaparte. Schedule a meeting. I want to find out exactly what he wants from us. And then, once we gain his trust, we'll make our move."

You wrapped your arms around Sean's neck, looking up at him. "You better not get yourself killed."

Sean smirked. "You know I'm not so easy to get rid of," he said, his lips brushing against yours.

There was a creak of a step, causing the two of you to pull away from each other. Looking over, you found Marie crouched on the stairwell.

"What do you think you are doing out of bed?" you asked. "It's way past your bedtime."

Marie slowly came down the stairs, her bare feet sticking out of the bottom of her nightgown as she dragged her stuffed bunny next to her. "I had a bad dream," she said as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

Sean pulled away from you, walking over to the stairway and picking her up. "Well, we can't have that now, can we?" he said as he kissed her forehead. "What was your bad dream about?"

Marie laid her head on Sean's shoulder, hugging her bunny close. "The bad man took mommy," she said softly.

Your head snapped up to Sean's. You noticed his jaw tense. "Why did the bad man take mommy?" he asked as he continued to look at you.

"Because she was in the way."

********

You were pacing back and forth in your bedroom, chewing on your nails. After Marie told you and Sean about her nightmare, he promptly took her back to bed. He'd been in there for almost twenty minutes when he finally walked into your bedroom. You quickly turned towards him as he shut the door.

"I don't like this, Sean. How does she know these things? What if she is right and Bonaparte does something? What if it's not us he wants but you? He is a Zauberbiest. What if Black Claw just wants to get rid of Grimms altogether?"