Chapter 6 - A Grimm Realization

After the eventful conclusion of protecting Hank from a disgruntled Ogre, things seemed to quiet some for you. While Nick still had cases to solve that seemed to always involve Wesen, you were finding your new normal with helping out at the precinct. You and Sean hadn't talked about what happened between the two of you. As much as you wanted to bring it up, you could tell that his work was keeping him preoccupied. You were currently working on typing up some final touches on a few reports when your cellphone went off.

You smiled when you saw Monroe's name pop up. "Hey Monroe," you said cheerfully.

"(Y/N)?" he said hoarsely.

You felt your heart drop into your stomach. "Monroe? What's wrong?"

"I need you to come to the house," he said before he hung up.

Your heart was hammering in your chest. Something was clearly wrong. You quickly saved your work and grabbed your bag, sticking your head into Sean's office.

"I have to go. There's an emergency," you said quickly as you dug in your purse for your keys.

Sean instantly stood up, "What's wrong, is everything ok?"

Being flustered, you dropped your keys. As you bent down, Sean met you halfway, both of you kneeling on the floor. Your breathing was labored, and you had tears threatening to spill over. You didn't know what had happened, but you knew it was bad from the way Monroe sounded on the phone. Sean reached out and gently caressed your cheek.

"(Y/N)?" he said softly.

You sniffed and wiped the tears from your eyes. "I'm ok. My friend is just in trouble, and I need to go home and check on him."

Sean gently helped you back up. "I'm driving you. You don't need to be driving in this state."

You nodded in agreement and allowed him to guide you out of the precinct. When Sean pulled up to Monroe's house, he reached over and took your hand.

"Do you want me to come in with you?"

You shook your head and gave him a small smile, "No, but thank you."

He nodded in response and held your hand up to his lips, giving it a gentle kiss. "Call me if you need anything."

You smiled and leaned across the seat, kissing him on the cheek. "I will, thank you."

You waved to him as you entered the house. Sean watched you go in, taking a deep breath and steadying his shaking hands. He had never felt this way around anyone before, and with the unexpected reaper box that arrived on his desk that morning, he knew he would have to tell you the truth sooner than later.

As you walked through the front door, you gasped when you saw Monroe laying on the couch. His face was black and blue, he had cuts all over him, and his lip was swollen. He was holding an icepack to his head. You ran over to him, gently accessing the damage.

"Monroe, what happened?"

He groaned as he sat up, "Someone was trying to send a message." He pulled out a piece of paper. "You know what that is?"

You opened up the paper to find a drawing. You shook your head, "No. Looks like something the grim reaper would carry," you said with a chuckle.

You looked up from the picture to see Monroe looking at you. "Yeah, a Grimm Reaper," he said with air quotes.

You felt the blood drain from your face. "What are you talking about, Monroe?"

He sighed, "Did Nick ever tell you about the night your Aunt came into town?"