Chapter 36 - A New Grimm Understanding

“So, we are just ignoring the fact that Trubel is actually the killer of these Wesen?” You asked Sean and Nick as you looked over the case files.

Sean sighed, “She didn’t know what she was. We have to give her the benefit of the doubt. Besides, the Wesen she killed attacked her and weren’t exactly good people. Two of them had been charged on assault before, the other grand theft.”

“So, no one will miss them then?” you asked.

Nick shook his head, “No. Hank and I have altered the reports enough that she should be okay. As long as she doesn’t cause any more problems.”

You raised an eyebrow, “Is she going to cause more problems?”

“Meisner and I will be sure she is trained properly. Who knows, maybe she could be your personal guard?” Nick said with a smirk.

You huffed a laugh, “Yeah, I think I’ll stick with Meisner.”

Sean checked his watch. “I’ve got to get to the precinct. You’ll let me know if anything comes up?” He asked you as he kissed you. 

You nodded in response. “I’ll see you tonight.”

Once Sean left, you sat down at the table in the office that had been set up in your home for you and Sean to use for official Wesen business. Nick sat down next to you as you continued to look over the files. Nick began bouncing his leg up and down out of nerves. You glanced up, raising an eyebrow as you watched him.

“Okay,” you said as you sat down the file. “Spill.”

Nick’s head whipped up in surprise, “What?”

“There’s obviously something on your mind and bothering you. I can feel the anxiety waft off of you. What’s going on?” Nick jumped up from his chair and began pacing. “Nick, you’re making me nervous, what’s…”

“I’ve been secretly seeing someone,” he blurted out, cutting you off midsentence.

You sat with your mouth open, sputtering over your words. “Who? When?”

Nick took a breath, “It’s Adalind.”

You just sat in shock, not knowing how to respond. Nick just stood there, looking at you, worry written all over his face. “Please (Y/N), say something.”

You just stared at the table, “How long?”

“Since Christmas,” Nick said softly.

You snapped your head up, “Are you fucking kidding me?” Nick took a step back, shocked at your outburst. You got up from your chair as you made your way towards your brother. “She tried to kill Aunt Marie!” You yelled.

“I know, but that’s when she was working for the royals. And a lot has changed since then. You of all people should know how these mate markings effect you. I couldn’t deny the attraction,” Nick said, almost pleadingly. “Please (Y/N), you and Sean are the only ones who truly understand what we are going through. We need your help.”

You shook your head, “What’s to stop her from turning on us? She tried to kill Hank. She almost killed Juliette. Hell, she threatened me! Sean doesn’t trust her and never has.”

“She’s not with the royal families anymore. Ever since we took away her Hexenbiest and Sean’s brother died; she has been outcasted by the royals. The only reason she stayed in the old country was to find a way to get her Hexenbiest back,” Nick argued.

“So, she just crawls back here hoping that we’ll protect her? That we’ll forgive her? I’m sorry Nick, but even if she is your mate, you are treading into dangerous water. Until she truly proves that she can be trustworthy, I can’t do it. I can’t allow her into my family.”