Chapter 1 - Last of the Grimms

You awoke suddenly, a feeling in your gut that something terrible had happened. You took a deep breath, trying to calm your racing heart. You got up out of bed and made your way to the bathroom, splashing some cold water on your face. You looked up into the mirror and noticed the dark circles under your eyes. Sleep hadn't been coming to you easily ever since you started seeing strange things. Things you couldn't explain. A loud buzzing snapped you out of your thoughts as you went back into your bedroom, seeing your brother was calling you.

"Nick?" you asked. "Is everything ok? You never call this late."

"It's Aunt Marie," he replied.

You felt your heart drop, "Is she ok? What happened?" You could hear voices in the background and what sounded like sirens.

"We were attacked. She's on her way to the hospital. How soon do you think you can get here?"

"I'm on my way," you said as you grabbed your duffle bag and began throwing clothes into it.

"(Y/N) ... be careful," Nick said hesitantly.

You furrowed your brows. "Nick, what's going on?"

"Just get here as soon as you can," he said before he hung up.

********

It had been too long since you had visited Portland or seen your older brother. You were eight, and he was twelve when your parents died, leaving you both in the care of your mother's sister. As you grew up, Nick became a cop and you opened up your own shop. You had a knack for herbology and books, which Nick always enjoyed teasing you about. You made it to the hospital in record time. After all, Seattle wasn't too far from Portland. You rushed into the hospital, running into Nick.

"Nick!"

He immediately engulfed you in his arms, squeezing you tight. He stood back from you, his hands still on your arms, looking you up and down.

"Are you ok? You're not hurt or anything?"

You grabbed his hands, "Nick, I'm fine. Are you ok? You look really shaken up."

He sighed and rubbed his forehead, "Yeah, I'm ok. It's just been a really weird night."

You followed him into the hospital room, where your aunt was lying in a bed asleep. You noticed the scratches on her face. You sat your bag down as you pulled a chair up next to the bed, taking one of her hands in yours.

"Is she ok?" you whispered.

"Before we were attacked, she told me she wasn't sure how much longer she had. The cancer has spread."

You nodded in response, wiping a tear away. "Why would someone attack her?"

Nick looked around to make sure you were both alone, he leaned in. "Have you been seeing anything strange lately?"

You felt a knot in your stomach as your breath hitched. Nick, being the ever so observant one, noticed immediately. His eyes got big.

"You have, haven't you?"

You fiddled with the blanket covering your aunt. Nick quickly grabbed your hands, pulling your attention back to him.

"(Y/N), I have too."

You furrowed your brows, "What does it mean?" you whispered.

"Aunt Marie said something about us being the last of the Grimms? Does that make any sense to you?"

"Wait," you said as you shook your head, "you mean like the Brother's Grimm? Like Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood Grimm?"

Nick shook his head, "I don't know. She just said the stories were all true."