• • ᴄʜᴀᴩᴛᴇʀ ɪɪɪ • •

The incident that happened at the mall had caused Mike to lose the job he had gotten there. Making him lose a job that he had wanted to keep for Abby's sake and now it was all down the drain. Having to attend a small court session over it as well.

The days to him seemed endless with everything he had to deal with so far. Curently sitting across Steve Raglan, a career counselor. Wanting to speed things up since his girlfriend was waiting for him.

"You know, there's not much I can do with a record like yours." Steve spoke. "It would be hard to find someone to hire you again." He continued before opening his file. "Mr. Mike Sch-." Glancing back up at the young man before him. Having a small look on his features as if he was connecting a few dots.

"What?" Mike asked.

"Coffee." Steve suddenly spoke as he got up. "Would you care for a cup of coffee?" Walking around his desk and behind Mike.

"Uh.. no thanks." Mike replied. A bit curious about how he was being.

Steve thought about it before clearing his throat. "There is one job available for you to take." He spoke.

"What kind of job are we talking about?" Mike asked.

"A night security job at an abandoned rundown pizzeria." Steve spoke as he walked back to his seat. "The pay isn't good and neither are the hours but you only have to worry about one thing." He assured. "Keeping the place clean and keeping people out."

Mike listened to him as he knew he needed the job but he still had Abby and didn't want to lose her for a mistake he had done. Glancing at his hands before glancing back at the man before him. "Sorry, I can't accept this offer. I don't do night shifts." He spoke. "Thank you though." He added as he got up to leave.

Steve watched him get up as he got up after his back was towards him. "Wait." He spoke up.

Mike stopped in his tracks as he turned to face the man once more.

Steve noticed as he grabbed one of his cards before holding it out for him to take. "Just in case you change your mind."

Mike listened as he was a bit hesitant to take the card before reaching over and grabbing it. Thanking him a bit before leaving the room. Running a hand through his hair once he was out in the hall.

Steve watched the closed door a second before taking his seat again. Knowing exactly who he was and what he had remembered the moment he had seen his full name.

Mike headed down the hall and found his way out of the building. Heading to his car as he got into the drivers seat. "Sorry for the wait." He spoke as he glanced towards the passenger side.

Lilith shook her head. "Don't worry about it. I didn't mind the long wait. How did it go?" She asked as she reached over and held his hand a bit.

Mike gave her hand a small squeeze. "Well... he said that there was much he could do for me with a file like mine." He spoke. "But he had an opening for night shifts only. I can't. I have Abby to take care of."

"You'll find something. I know it. I can work with you. That way they know that you can keep Abby safe and sound." Lilith spoke.

"You'd do that?" Mike asked.

"Of course." Lilith spoke. "You're my boyfriend Mike and Abby is someone special to me. I could never see you two apart."

Mike listened as he didn't believe the last bit. He was someone that Abby didn't talk too much and felt Abby didn't even like him to begin with. A small exhale leaving him.

"I hope we find something then. For Abby." Mike spoke.

"For Abby." Lilith replied as she gave his cheek a small peck.

Mike smiled a bit before placing a small kiss on her hand. Keeping her hand in his warmly before letting go as he started the car and wanted to get things over with.

"I guess we have to deal with your aunt now that they will inform her about this incident." Lilith spoke.

"Don't even remind me of that." Mike huffed.

"She's not a good person, Mike." Lilith replied.

"I know. Abby doesn't like her either.. but that will be out of my control if she manages to get full custody of her. She'll use anything about me against me." Mike spoke.

"I'll figure something out." Lilith spoke.

"You and your great ideas." Mike spoke as he smiled. A teasing tone in his voice.

Lilith listened as she chuckled. "Have any ideas yourself then?" She asked jokingly.

"Not at all." Mike replied as he laughed lightly. Feeling better after the last few days he had going for him. Calming down and was simply glad he had someone like her to keep him lifted through everything he had going on.

Lilith smiled as she shook her head playfully. Glancing out the window, glancing up as she noticed someone from a window watching them. Unable to see who it was really well before feeling Mike drive away to take them back home.

"Everything okay?" Mike asked as he glanced ahead before sneaking a peek at her.

"Everything is fine." Lilith spoke as she glanced his way before smiling. "I was just admiring things a bit." She spoke.

Mike listened as he believed her small white lie. Continuing to drive away as he smiled. Having a lot on his plate but still having room for his girlfriend in the end.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

The following day was a day that he dreaded. Something that had to happen since his aunt had found out about what he had done. Seeing him unfit to raise a child. Wanting to take her for her own benefits.

Next to him on his right sat Lilith as he liked having there with him. It made it feel less stressful with a comforting presence.

His aunt, Jane, sitting on his left side with her lawyer. Both sitting before a social service worker. She had only one intent on to why she wanted to have Abby in her care.

"I don't think Mike should be able to have the responsibility of a child. I mean look what happened with that poor man at the mall. He had no regards for that little boy and his father."

"It was a misunderstanding." Mike spoke.

"Oh, of course it was." Jane spoke as she had a sarcastic tone in her voice as she shook her head.

"You're quite confident you're any better." Lilith spoke as she crossed her arms.

"What did you just say?" Jane asked.

"I'll make it simple. You don't care about either of them. The only reason you want her is so that you can get something in return." Lilith replied as she stood up.

Jane stood up as well. Raising her hand as she lost her temper for a moment.

Mike standing up and being in front of his girlfriend. "Aunt Jane." He spoke as he stood his ground. He had allowed her to talk badly about him but he would never allow anyone to lay a hand on his partner.