ᴄʜᴀᴩᴛᴇʀ xɪx

Mike was still under the rush of adrenaline he had been feeling from the sight of the scene earlier. His hands shaking her shoulders lightly to get her back to her senses before picking her up and carrying her back inside. Setting her down on the couch.

"Lilith.. you have to listen to me.. okay?"

"I.." Lilith spoke as she shook her head. Still dazed out at the moment after what happened.

"What happened?" He asked.

"There was a knock at the door. I thought you were back and had forgotten your keys. I opened the door but you weren't there. He was. I thought he was you."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take so long." Mike spoke.

"You weren't here and I was scared that he would do something to Abby."

"Who is he?" Mike asked. "You can tell me."

Lilith stopped staring at the ground before gazing up at him with teary eyes. "It's my father." She spoke. "He has found me again and he has more threats to hold above my head than before. I don't know what to do."

"Hey, hey, hey." Mike placed his hands on her cheeks. "You are okay. Okay? I'm not letting him get near you again. I'm not leaving you alone for a second."

Lilith listened as she glanced away from him at the moment. Wanting to come clean before glancing at him. "Don't get in his way or he will hurt you. Be careful." She spoke.

"I won't." Mike promised. Holding her hand in his as he rubbed the back of her hand.

She stared at him for a second before she held his hand back. "Why were you away for so long? I froze up seeing him."

"I was explaining things to your sister about why I had those sleeping pills." Mike explained. "It wasn't meant to be that long."

"Did she go back to work first?"

"She did." Mike nodded. "I think you should take the night off. Keep an eye on Abby and Max."

"Max doesn't want to babysit tonight and I don't want to be alone."

"I won't take long Lil."

"Mike, he knows where we live. Who knows what he might plan."

"Well, what do you plan? We need to have someone watch Abby for us."

"We take her with us."

"I don't know about this."

"It will be safer to have her with us than letting him come back with anything malicious in mind."

Mike thought about it before sighing as he glanced down before glancing back up at him. "Fine. We'll take her this once only." Glancing at Abby painting on the corner of the couch.

Abby had watched the whole thing and glanced at him. Glancing at both of them at the moment innocently.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Mike parked the car right outside the pizzeria in the usual spot he used. Turning to face Abby. "I will work and you will sleep. Under no circumstances are you going to come out of the office. Do you understand me?"

"I understand." Abby replied.

"This will not be a vacation, okay? We are not here to have fun."

"Okay." Abby smiled as she was more focused on the sign and restaurant before her.

"Whoa, slow down, slow down, slow down." Mike spoke up.