29

A change in heart is something I learned from my parents a long time ago. I learned to trust others by experience. I learned to give gratitude for the others around me. All because of them. Thats why I stayed on the phone all morning with Stacey.  For the past two days I had this feeling that I needed things to be right with Chris and I, especially for the sake of our five year old. As she played with her toys I walked off into the kitchen, the phone still pressed against my ear. Chris would be here any second and all I needed was the email. Chris and I may have not worked out, but that doesn't mean Ava has to suffer.

"Okay. Its sent. Good luck". Stacey spoke and with a quick thank you I hung up.

As Chris walked in, slumped down as his expression was soft, kind of sad looking.

"Alright girly. It's time to go". He sighed.

"Chris, we need to talk". I whispered and knelt down to Ava.

"Why don't you get your other bag for daddy, okay"? I smiled.

She nodded and ran up the steps to her room. I stood up as Chris sat on the couch.

"What do you wanna talk about?" He asked.

"I want to tell you that you were right. It's not fair for Ava. She shouldn't be on a plane every other week, it's a little pricey, boring for her and I don't think I can do it either." I spoke.

Chris gave me a look as he leaned over on his knees.

"The tour ends in November. That gives two months. There's no point to move Avas life around when she has everything here". I sighed.

The look on Chris's face kind of made me feel better. There was some light back in his eyes.

"So, she can stay with me"? He asks.

I gave him a small grin, nodding my head.

"I do have some things I want to go over though". I said.

He sat up and nodded.

"I want to FaceTime her, maybe every night before bed so I can see her. I also want to get updates about school for her, even if it's something small, and maybe one day she can come and visit if the distance to and from is okay. I called Stacey two days ago and changed everything, the papers are in the email. Until I come back, I'll have the partial custody order. You'll have her full time".

He gave me a smile and quickly wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me tight.

"Thank you". He whispered and kissed my cheek.

"Okay put me down". I said and when he did Ava walked in.

"Hey baby girl, guess who you're staying with until mommy comes back"? He smiled.

Just then a knock on the door made me jump. I checked my watch and walked over. They were early. I opened the door to Colson and Brian. I gave them a smile and moved so they could walk in.

"Mommy"! Ava cried as she ran over to me.

I gave her a hug and kissing her cheek as she held onto me tighter. This was what I was afraid of.

"I want to come with you". She sobbed.

"I know baby, but you're gonna come visit me and you can FaceTime me". I whispered.

"But I wanna come". She cried harder.

When I made eye contact with Colson he smiled and knelt down next to me and Ava.

"Hey, do you remember Casey"? He asked.

Ava put her head up and looked at Colson, nodding slowly.

"Well she can't come this tour. So I told her I would call her every night. Would you like to call Casey for me everynight? You can make sure she's happy". He smiled.

Ava wiped her eyes and nodded as Colson reached over to grab the child's tablet off the table. He typed something in quickly and the sound of a FaceTime started. There Casey was on the screen.

"Its her mommy"! Ava smiled and took her iPad.

I turned to Colson and gave him a smile as we both stood up. That's when Colson stood next to Chris.

"Hey, I'm Colson". He spoke.

"Chris".

The room was silent, I had to do something.

"Okay I think its time to go". I spoke and Chris gave me a fake smile.

"How are you? It's been what? Like what fifteen years since we were in school"? Chris asked.

Colson gave him a nod and looked over at me. Clearly he doesn't remember Chris like I did. Colson was older, alot older.

"Well, you two have fun". Chris smiled and stood up.

As he grabbed Avas things amd called her down I noticed her pink medicine bag on the table.

"Dont forget the epi pen. It has all new pens in here". I said and grabbed it off the table.

"I got it. Calm down". He sighed and when Ava walked down she was still on the phone with Casey.

"Bye mommy"! She smiled and set the tablet down, running over to me.

I gave her one last squeeze and kissed her cheek.

"Bye sweetheart. I'll call tonight". I smiled and turned to Colson.

He gave me a nod and with that we walked off and down the steps to the car.

"You ready"? Brian asked.

I turned to him and nodded.

"I can't wait".