5

10 years later..... 2022

The noise behind me made me jump and come back to reality as I watched my boyfriend Chris pack up the last of his things from our, I mean my bedroom. His constant throwing, punching and begging was getting old in the small time frame I had before work. He shouldve known the consequences of his actions, he should've known that the last time was the "last time". My emotions were all over the place at this point, and I wasn't sure if I was happy or upset. His gaze met mine and he slowly tied his garbage bag full of clothes.

"Can we talk about this please?" He questioned. Practically begging.

I got up from the floor and walked over to our shared...my bathroom and grabbed the rest of his things. When I walked back out he was on his knees. I shouldn't feel bad, I was the one suffering. I was the one in pain, and for what? For him to say "sorry"? I threw his belongings to the ground and walked back over to my spot in the corner of the room, letting myself slide down the wall. I couldn't cry anymore. I dried my tears up last night after the fight.

"Emily you know I didn't mean it, I didn't mean any of it". He whispered, walking over to me.

I flinched away as his hand came in contact with my cheek... again. I reached up and touched the forming bruise on my skin from last night and turned my head. The silent treatment was what I needed to do right now, if not I'd probably flip out.

"Baby girl please. I was drunk, I didn't mean to do that". Chris cried.

I took a deep breath and held it, wondering if i could just pass out and when i woke up he would he gone, but Chris was persistent. He never took no as an answer. His hand came in contact with me again and I pushed him back.

"Why wont you talk to me? Please baby I'm sorry". 

Those words were constantly used in our relationship. When I actually had the "balls" to fight back it was the best I could have done. That would be the last time he would hit me, the last time he would call me names and embarrass me in front of my friends and family. I felt free. My daughter and I felt free.

"I suggest calling a cab now, that way you can get it all out at once, or you could just call Jessica up. I bet she'll be glad to hear from you again". I spit and stood back up.

"Seven years of being your play toy, seven long dreadful years of being bullied into loving you, all for you to do me like this. I'm done Chris. I'm done". I hissed and walked out of "my" bedroom. I made it to the front door, him right behind me like a lost puppy. Before I could open the door he slammed it shut, pushing me up against the door.

"I know you, your going to call me, begging me to come back. You always do". He whispered, moving my hair away from my neck.

"That's when I loved you". I said and he pushed me back into the door.

"Come on baby, don't do me like that. It was a little mistake, let's go make up". He smiled, pulling me closer.

"Stop". That's one

"Let me hear you one more time baby Let me hear you scream my name". And with that his hand got to the zipper of my jacket.

I tried to move, fight him off but he was stronger. His fingers played with the hem of my shirt, trying all the ways to get in. Once his hand moved under my shirt I hissed, trying to move to get him away but nothing worked. His other hand dangerously laying on my hips.

"S-stop". That's two

"C'mon baby, I'll do the thing you like". He hummed and I pushed back, my head hitting his chin.

He let go of me and cursed under his breath. The small blood droplets running down his nose, his angered expression, it gave me joy.

"Touch me again and I'll scream, now get your shit, and leave". I pushed past him and walked to the kitchen.

A few moments later I heard him stomping up the steps, throwing things that were in his path. When he appeared in the kitchen he walked over and grabbed his keys.

"Fuck you". And with that he walked away from me and out the front door.

My stomach dropped and the tears came running at this point. It was the best thing I could have done. I finally felt free. I glanced over at the sunflowers in my vase and I smiled and turned to grab my coffee mug from the counter, taking in all that's left, now is to clean up and drink my coffee in peace. He was no longer apart of my life, he was no longer in control of me. I can live my life now in peace, not fear. I can wear what I want and feel confident. I can finally be the mom i always wanted to be. I grabbed my phone from my legging pocket and dialed the only number I knew off by heart and when I heard her voice I broke.

"Anni can you come over. Please". I begged.

And with a simple "okay" I hung up and took in the silence. I'm finally me.

*
*
*

Anni sat across from me, just waiting for me to explain to her what happened. I couldnt tell her about the physical part, she would literally kill him. I rocked back and fourth on my heels, Finally giving up and sitting across from her as she was holding her wine glass to her lips. She wants answers, im going to give them to her.

"I told him it was over." I whispered.

Her eyes showed glee, but her stance was the same. 

"I told him enough was enough. I couldn't do it anymore. I want to live my life, but this time alone". 

She set the wine glass down and moved off the couch to come over to me. Her embrace us what I needed.

"I'm so proud of you, so, so proud". She hummed.

We sat there for a bit, taking in all the emotions in the room. 

"Do you want to stay in tonight? I can buy a movie". She smiled and with a small nod she let go of me.

"So, the bruise, he did that? You didnt fall"? She asked. And I nodded.

"Why did you stay as long as you did? You didnt tell me he was actually hurting you, even if I put two and two together. People talk". 

I put my head in my hands and sighed. Great, others know.

"Dont worry, it's the unimportant ones. Ryans been blowing up my phone about it. He's not to happy". She added.

"Hes most definitely not unimportant". I huffed, still trying to wipe my eyes. "You should call him, tell him im okay". And I grabbed my cracked phone off the floor.

"Where's you're daughter"? She asked.

"With my mom. I told her to take Ava last night after I found out". I said.

Anni nodded. I think that's all she could do.