45. Testimoney

Haezel watched Cersei lie, watched the maester blame Sansa and Tyrion, watched Varys spew that he never forgot a thing. Tyrion looked to Haezel as she stepped forward.

"State your name."

"Haezel Hightower."

"And how do you know the defendant?"

"I grew up alongside the Lannister siblings, Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion. THey are my closest friends."

"So you know them to their core."

"I would like to think so." Haezel agreed. Tyrion stared back at her helplessly. She was his last hope. "And I know Tyrion didnt kill Joffrey." She added. "Tyrion isnt that stupid."

"What are you implying?" Tywin questioned.

"Tywin he is your son, which makes him brilliant like yourself." Haezel complimented them both and Tywin hated and loved it. Calling him brilliant but tyrion's brilliance off his tywins, that struck a nerve, Haezel knew it would. "If he wanted to kill Joffrey he would have had his muscle do it and certainly not in front of everyone. Why kill him and make himself look guilt on top of that, he is smarter than that."

"You have given this some thought." Oberyn remarked.

"I have had time to think but from that awful moment, cersei holding her baby boy in her arms did anyone look at the look of horror on Tyrions face? Did anyone see that he was shocked at the outcome? If you accuse Tyrion for this you are letting the real killer go." Haezel declared. Tyrion fisted his hand under the podium in a little cheer.

"Maybe he is a good actor?" Mace pondered.

"I know that Cersei has hated her brother for years, since birth, I know that Tywin blames him for his wifes death as well. But he shouldnt be blamed for something he had no control over for his entire life." Haezel declared. "Have none of you made a mistake? Have you been judged every single day for it?" Haezel asked the audience. "I ask that you focus on real facts not false testimonies."

"Calling the queen a liar?" Oberyn questioned leaning in.

"Cersei lost her son and is not thinking clearly. Tywin can not be partial in this." Haezel agreed.

"And you can?" Tywin questioned.

"Cersei is my best friend, she is going to hate me for going against her and trying to defend Tyrion." Haezel remarked. "So yes, I think I can."

Tyrion felt a swell of hope that night as he was returned to his cell. Haezel felt sick. She lay beside Gregor holding Haemon to her, her little honey bear snuggled into her side. Gregor kissed her roughly before falling asleep. Cersei had not spoken to Haezel that night, Haezel wondered if she just lost her best friend.

THe next day Haezel and everyone witnessed Shae, some no name whore step forward and lie. But the people believed her, the council believed her. Haezel didnt believe her. It was like all Haezels hard work any progress she could have made with her testimony were thrown out the window. But Tyrion spoke up catching everyone's attention. Haezel worried he would say something he shouldnt out of rage.

"Father, I wish to confess. I wish to confess!' Tyrion declared.

'You wish to confess?" Tywin looked pleased as he leaned forward in the Iron Throne. Tyrion turned to the crowd.

"I saved you. I saved this city. All your worthless lives. I should have let Stannis kill you all." Everyone watching happily turned angry, yelling and shouting in outrage.

"Oh no." Haezel whispered. Gregor chuckled.

"Little man has fire." Gregor countered.

"Tyrion, do you wish to confess?" Tywin said loudly to get the crowd to quiet down and get his sons attention. Tyrion's eyes landed on his Shae.