27. Haze of Darkness

At weeks end they were having the hands tourney, Gregor was competing, he competed in everything. It was a good outlet for his rage. But in the meantime, he was training and picking flowers.

Sandor caught Haezel smiling down at her flowers and he leaned up against the door frame. 

"You know Gregor killed a man that insulted him over picking flowers yesterday. One of Starks men I think." Sandor remarked. 

"He shouldnt have insulted Gregor." Haezel agreed simply. 

"You are an interesting breed Haezel." Sandor remarked pushing off the door and continuing on his way. 

+

"Sit up here, you are not allowed to run onto the track." Haezel reminded her boys. Silas and Griffin grumbled, Haven was down for a nap and Haemon was smashing wooden soldiers together as Haezel's feet. 

'Good Lord who is that?' Sansa questioned Petyr as the competitors in the tournament rode forward. 

'That is ser Gregor Clegane they call him the mountain.' Petyr told her 'the hounds older brother.''

"He came north." Sansa recalled. "He looks bigger now." She added, looking him over in his armor. Haezel glanced to them hearing Petyr say the mountain and the hound. 

'And his opponent?'

'Sir hugh of the veil,' Petyr told her as both opponents came forward bowing before the king 'he was Jon Arryn's squire'

'Yes yes enough of the bloody pomp,' Robert said 'have at it,' he said leaning lazily back in his chair. Both riders took their places at the opposite end of the jousting arena the horn blew and both men took off their jousting spears pointed at each other's faces. Haezel clapped out the boys jumped up on the bleachers shouting and screaming with excitement, she didnt know that this was good for them being excited about tourney's this young but they were cheering for their daddy.

They missed, they turned around to begin again this time however Gregor did not miss. His lance speared Ser Hugh in the throat and he came colliding to the ground. Blood spewed from his neck as part of the lance was lodged in his throat he spewed for breath before he breathed his last. Ser gregor stood victorious as ser hugh was carried away.

"Go Gregor!" Haezel declared standing up. The boys hooted out, Gregor smiled victoriously their way. She felt bad for the boy, the squire but that was the risk of tourneys, although Haezel never worried about Gregor during tourney's she did worry a bit more when he was in battle, real battle. 

'Not what you were expecting?' Petyr asked sansa ''has anyone ever told you the story of the mountain and the hound?' He glanced back at sandor. 'a lovely little tale of brotherly love.' Sansa glance back at Sandor as well 'the hound,' Petyr went on, ''was just a pup six years old maybe Gregor a few years older but he was already getting a bit of a reputation some people said that the boy was just born with a talent for violence. One evening Gregor found his little brother playing with a toy by the fire Gregor's toy. A wooden knight. Gregor never said a word he just grabbed his brother by the scruff of his neck and shoved his face into the burning coals held him there while the boy screamed, and his face melted...' he smirked over at a scared sansa. 'There aren't very many people that know that story'' Sansas gaze shifted to Haemon playing with toy soldiers at Haezels feet. 

''I won't tell anyone I promise.' sansa assured him slightly terrified.

''No please don't.' Petyr said 'if the hound so much as heard you mention it I'm afraid all the knights and kings landing would not be able to save you.'

"You want to make a bet?" Renly questioned coming up behind Haezel. 

"What is your boy up to that you think he can win?" Haezel countered. Renly chuckled awkwardly before scooting down the line. 

 'The knight of the flowers...' sansa said happily as ser loras Tyrell approached he held out a rose for Sansa and she took it gratefully 'thank you ser loras.' 

Haezel hesitated, Renly wouldnt be trying to win money if he didnt know that Loras would win for sure, but why bet against Gregor? That was a sure loss. 

They bowed before the king ser Loras on a white steed while Gregor was on a black horse. Gregor's horse started to whine and complain he rode off ill tempered as Gregor try to stable him.

'Don't let Ser Gregor hurt him.' Sansa begged 'I can't watch' Ned tried to comfort his daughter. 

''100 gold dragons on the mountain.' petyr called back to Renly.

''I'll take that.' Renly said pleasantly

''Now what will I do with 100 gold dragons Dornish wine or a girl from the pleasure houses?' Petyr questioned.

'You can even buy yourself a friend.' Renly suggested.

"Haezel? You want to get on this action?" Petyr questioned. She didnt answer, just kept her gaze focused on Gregor as the boys hooted and shouted beside her. 

'He is going to die!' Sansa told Ned.

'He's going to try to win.' Ned told her the horn blew and they were off. Charging at one another Loras lance got ser Gregor, he collapsed to the ground into the fence breaking it. Haezel gasped her hands flying to her mouth as she shot up. Silas and Griffin silenced as they stared back at their father, on the ground. 

"Daddy doesnt lose." Griffin corrected. 

"He's on the ground." Silas whispered like it was a secret. 

'Such a shame little finger it would've been so nice for you to have a friend.' Renly told him.

'And tell me Renly when will you be having your friend?' Petyr taunted gesturing to loras, Petyr turned back to sansa, 'Loras knew his horse was in heat.' Petyr told sansa.

'He would never do that there is no honor in that in honor in tricks.' Sansa assured him.

'No honor but quite a bit of gold' Petyr told her leaning back. Haezel's ears tuned into that. In heat, that fool, Gregor would go if it was honorable but not to tricks.  Gregor was not happy about it he threw down his helmet screaming out as Loras approached the victor.

'Sword!' Gregor screamed out as everyone cheered. Gregor was given a sword and he chopped his own horses head clean off with one swing Sansa jumped as the horses head severed and fell to the ground, Haezel flinched back as well. Griffin and Silas screamed ducking down. Gregor kept going. Gregor came at Loras knocking him down again and again. Loras's shield was not strong enough to fend off against Gregor

"GREGOR!" Haezel demanded getting up, Loras petrified face stared up at them. Gregor let his fist fall with a grunt. "Enough." Haezel demanded. "Walk it off." Gregor grumbled as he marched off. Haezel looked down at Loras and she could tell his heart was still racing. She offered him a hand, pulling him to his feet. "You alright?"

"Thank you." Loras agreed.

"That's what you get for having a horse in heat. There is no honor in tricks boy." Haezel warned. "You are lucky I was here or else your little stunt would have ended up dead. Would that have been worth it?" Loras looked ashamed.

"Off the field Haezel!" Robert barked. Sandor moved to her as she headed off.

"That was stupid." Sandor remarked. "He could have just as easily swung at you."

"He would never hurt me." Haezel corrected as they walked. Her boys chased after her, Haemon trotted along to, she scooped him up. 

"I find daddy-"

"No." Haezel corrected. "He needs to cool off." Haezel instructed. They grumbled but stayed by her side. 

"When he's in kill mode he doesn't see-" Sandor begged. 

"He saw me. He would never hurt me. He saw me." Haezel demanded. "Look I know you two can never be friends, but Gregor is my husband and I knew going out there, I would be fine." Sandor nodded.

"Whatever you say." Sandor agreed gruffly.

"I thank you for your sympathy and worry, Sandor." Haezel added. "But Gregor loves me, he would never hurt me."

"You havent seen him when all he sees is red." Sandor countered.

"No, I havent but I'm sure one day I will and I'm sure he will see me through that haze of darkness and I will be able to bring him back."