Chap. 53; Blue Looks Good on You

Start from the beginning

"Shit, are you a cop? Like I said, I'll come peacefully. Just don't put my in cuffs." Lauren sighed full heartedly, believing what she had put to into together.

"Hell no. I ain't no cop. I have a daughter, and I wouldn't want her sitting drunk on a bench out here. People in this city are crazy." The man stood up reaching out for Lauren's hand. Setting each foot down one at a time slowly, she took it.

The hand of the man pushed the door open to the dinner they sat outside of. The diner resembles that of every one's she had been in before. It's slightly rundown but with a touch of a surreal feeling. Lauren sat down, but the man went behind the counter and grabbed a glass of water. "Here, drink this."

"I- I don't wanna,"

"What's your name."

"Lauren."

"Lauren, drink the damn water." Lauren pulled the water to her mouth, taking a large gulp.

"You just... take in every druck kid on the street?" The man scoffed, leaning it sit comfortably in his seat.

"I'd have no free time. This city is full of drunk idiots. "

"So why am I here? Being drunk alone was nice."

"Why are you getting drunk?" Lauren looked at the man into his dark brown eyes. Her lips pushed out slightly in an involtarty pout.

"Why does anyone get drunk, mister?" Je shrugged.

"I know why I get drunk. Sally and Bob know why they get drunk. You know why you get drunk."

"Life's shitty."

"Is for everyone."

"I don't see why you're criticising my own choices. Or why you stopped and started talking to me if this is all you're going to do."

"You need help." Lauren groaned as her head fell back.

"No, you're not one of those people that think it's your job to fix people's lives, do you, because I'm not interested. My life is fine. Getting drunk every now and again is not your problem." His hand pushed the glass back over to her hand.

"Drink you water." Lauren listened and took another drink. "Why are you getting drunk?" While setting her glass down, she pretty much ignored what she was just saying to him.

"My dad's dead."

"Mine too. It's hard. I'm sorry, honey. I get easier, you know?" Lauren sighed her eyes dancing across the room.

"I don't know. Maybe in a year."

"What's in a year."

"I get go home," a smile spead across both Lauren and the man's face.

"Where's home?"

"Indiana."

"I'm from Georgia. It's hard being away. Why are you way from home?"

"My mother, she's Satan." Another chuckle escaped the man. "It not funny. You know what is funny she's Satan, but she's married to a priest. It was ironic that she'd married again and had another kid, but the only thing she ever wanted was him. Now he's gone, and I'm with her. I don't understand why."

"Honey, you lost me a little bit there."

"It's nothing, really. Just me drunk and rambling."

"How's she Satan?"

"Umm, it's a long story."

"I've got all night."

"Don't you have a daughter to get to."