♡ 6th Night - Muichiro x n!reader ♡

Genre: Love at first sight, angst

Ship: Muichiro Tokito x 2nd person n!reader

Requested by: Ryv1026

Muichiro POV:

The scent of wisteria carried upon the air as I trepsed solemnly up the mountain. Final selection awaited me at it's peak, where many low level demons were trapped within a wisteria prison.

Even throughout my training as a demon slayer, it had been difficult for me to feel much emotion. Happiness, sadness, grief and joy were simply too much effort for my liking; the only emotion that seemed to come to me easily was anger. Yet, when I peered into the dimly-lit clearing and laid eyes on you, something about that seemed to change.

When you tilted your head to the side and met my eyes, your soft H/C hair flowing in the mountain breeze. My breath hitched. In that moment, I found out that I could feel other emotions after all. I could feel love.

...

Love isn't really like any other emotion, due to the fact that you can't control it. After my brother's death my emotions were dulled and suppressed by the trauma- Or at least, that's what Amane and Kagaya told me.

Love is uncontrollable, obdurate and indocile.

It is untameable.

And that is why, when I saw you, my heart skipped a beat despite my nullified emotions.

I fell in love the second I laid eyes on you.

...

I fought to keep my breathing even as you bounded up to me and shook my hand, your steps were bouncy and energetic. Your skin was soft as it met mine; I felt my face heat up as you grasped my hand in yours and shook it. Swallowing my shock, I hesitantly shook back.

"Hiya! I'm Y/N L/N!"

"Oh, I um... I'm Muichiro Tokito."

We didn't have long to introduce ourselves, but I did manage to find out some things about you: you were a water breathing user, you had trained under a former hashira named 'Sakonji Urokodaki' and you were the same age as me.

Two children (who I instantly recognised as part of the Ubayashiki family) greeted us, and explained the nature of final selection. We would be imprisoned within the wisteria forest with the low level demons, and any survivors will be iniated into the demon slayer corps.
Boiling determination settled in my gut, and a few hazy thoughts of Yuichiro crossed my mind.

Don't think about that. Forget it.

Forget him.

Gritting my teeth, I was the first to enter the forest. You followed me with wide eyes, seemingly impressed by my boldness. Something about the look on your face made me feel slightly strange, almost as if the tips of my fingers were tingling. It was almost enough to make me feel happy.

"Hey, Tokito? Have you ever fought any real demons before?" You strolled along beside me as we scanned the forest surroundings, subconsciously deciding to team up. I didn't really know how to respond to your question at first; I don't know why, but I couldn't seem to figure out an answer.

"I... I don't remember."

"You don't remember whether or not you've fought a demon?"

"..."

You seemed a little confused by my behaviour but you still stuck by me throughout the final selection challenge. Even when we would go our separate ways to hunt the lone demons, our paths would never fail to cross again.

Until the 6th night.

We had made a habit of meeting up near a particularly large wisteria every night, so as to regroup before resuming our battles. For hours I waited, until orange sunlight began to peek through the purple flowers. That was when another emotion began to build within my stomach: dread.

Were you lost? Were you dead? I had no way of knowing. Not until we were finally called back to safety and allowed to leave the wisteria forest did I get to find out what became of you.

You never made your way out of the flowery depths of mount Fuji.

The Ubayashiki child who told me the news spoke like a robot. Her voice was flat and unfeeling as she listed the names of our dead companions, and an air of pride surrounded the other survivors. They had made it out. You had not. Surely that was something to be proud of, right?

I didn't think so.

It only took one punch each to send those proud survivors plummeting to the ground. A head hit the floor with a crunch, then an arm popped from a socket, then a scream was cut off by a foot in a mouth. Eventually, I lost track of the noise.

Standing a few paces away, the Ubayashiki children watched me beat my 'comrades' to a pulp with straight faces. Their eyes were as dull as ever as they observed my rage: my rage at myself, rage at you, rage at the demons, rage at Yuichiro.

Wait... Who is Yuichiro again?

Is he another demon slayer?

And who was that girl I saw in my mind's eye just now?

Everything feels a little hazy...

I looked down at my hand. It was shiny with blood.

"Oh... Did I do that?" I muttered as I glanced around at the unconscious bodies around me. "Ah, they'll live."

"Master Tokito, are you ready to select your ore?" A flat voice called me from my thoughts.

"My ore?"

"The ore that will be used to forge your sword."

"Oh that. Wait, what sword?"

The Ubayashiki girl's looked at eachother briefly, before one of them nodded and walked out of the clearing. I cocked my head to the side in confusion and waited for the remaining girl to speak; she simply stared.

A few minutes passed.

I stared. She stared.

Both of our eyes were devoid of emotion. Until, she blinked, revealing a slither of sympathy beneath the robotic facade.

"I'm sorry for your losses, Master Tokito."

I blinked, a white fog clouding my mind.

"Huh? What losses?"

A/N: I'M SORRY THIS IS SO LATE!! Idk why I felt the need to make this so angsty but it is what it is 🥰

1024 words