♡ Mismatched - (Obanai x f!reader) ♡

Obanai reluctantly makes his new student his tsuguko.

🤍🐍🖤

A gentle breeze blew a lock of h/c hair into Y/n's face. She brushed it from her eyes in annoyance, still slightly ticked off about her assignment. Master Ubayashiki had ordered her to assist the Serpent Hashira on a mission... And she was nervous. Very, very nervous.

As she approached the tree, a black and white striped haori came into view through the branches. A small hiss let her know that she was in the right place; and that her precense was acknowledged.

"Who are you, and what do you want?" A quiet but venomous voice hissed out. Y/n jumped back a little, taken by surprise.

"Greetings master Obanai, I have been ordered by Master Ubayashiki to accompany you on your next mission." She bowed her head politely, even though he hadn't yet turned to face her.

"Your swordsman rank?" He questioned, his tone harsh.

"Hinoto." She replied, a hint of pride in her voice. The young woman had just been promoted, and was confident in her abilities as a slayer. To her surprise, Obanai did not seem pleased.

"Tsk, how pathetic. Not even a Kinoto or Kinoe? Kaburamaru tells me you're a similar age and stature to me, so how come you're so weak in comparison?"

Y/n was taken aback. It was a valid question, but the answer was obvious. Not many humans had the power of a pillar, everyone knew that. So why... Why was this guy so disgusted by the idea of a weaker swordsman?

"I may be weak in comparison to a hashira, but I can hold my own." She clenched her fists as bright red eyes met her own. A large, white snake hung around the hashira's neck, and was slinking down the tree to look at her. She tensed her muscles, meeting the snake's eye.

"I refuse. Get out of my sight, I don't want to see you near me ever again. Got it?" The girthy snake spat at her as his master spoke, almost as if he was a sort of bodyguard. Y/n huffed and glared up at the back of the hashira.

"I'm afraid that I was sent by Master Ubayashiki himself, and unless either of us can overrule him, we have no choice in this matter."

It took a lot of self-control to keep her voice steady; luckily, Y/n was a disciplined girl. Finally, Obanai twisted in his branch, looking down at the girl for himself. A slight shiver ran down her spine as his mismatched eyes met her own.

"What? Are you talking back to me?" His eyes burned into her, glaring icily. "I'll have my snake eat you whole if you ever speak to me like that again, got it?"

As he spoke Kaburamaru dropped down from the tree and slithered over to where the girl was standing. His tongue flickered in and out, tasting Y/n's scent on the air. Aggresive hisses rumbled in his throat, and Y/n didn't know whether to back away or stand her ground.

"I'm sure that having him eat me won't be necessary." She addressed the hashira again, trying to ignore the threatening snake that was wrapping itself around her ankles. "I'm afraid you will simply have to tolerate me for the time being, sir."

The serpent-hashira raised an eyebrow and studied the girl standing beneath him.

"Bold enough to talk back to a hashira..." He hissed, his voice muffled beneath his mask. "Hmm, and she didn't shy away from my snake like everyone else does. What a strange girl."

In a flash, he jumped down from the tree and put his face next to Y/n's. She jumped slightly as he appeared next to her, and a bead of sweat trickled down her forehead and he raised a finger and poked her arm.

"Low muscle density, poor reaction times, pathetic form." Obanai pinched her arm hard as he spoke, making her wince in pain. Kaburamaru wrapped himself up her arm and hissed something to his owner... Obanai raised an eyebrow, and released his hold on her.

Y/n took a deep breath, and met the hashira's gaze once more. Despite his less-than-polite treatment of her, she couldn't help but feel admiration swell inside her when she looked at him. After all, the pillars of the demon slayer corps were her idols, and no amount of abuse from any of them was going to change that.

His eyes bore into her, and she took his disregard for personal space as an opportunity to study them.

"How fascinating..." She cocked her head to the side, staring at his bright yellow eye. He scowled and shoved her away from him.

"What the hell did you just say to me?" Anger bubbled in his voice. Y/n gulped, sensing she'd made a mistake.

"I was simply admiring your heterochromia, master Obanai." She bowed her head politely, but that didn't seem to please the raven-haired man.

"My heterochromia is none of your business!" He snarled, turning away so that she could no longer study at his eyes. Kaburamaru narrowed his eyes at her, but thankfully, didn't hiss.

"My apologies sir. If it makes you less angry at me, I don't find your eyes unsightly."

Obanai's hand twitched as it hung at his side. He paused, thinking for a moment.

Suddenly, he snapped back around.

"I could not care less whether you think my eyes are unsightly or not! You are a fool, lying to try and impress me." He sneered. Her ears perked up at the word lying... She had been genuine with what she said, but she knew better than to try and correct him.

"I apologise sir." She bowed again. Obanai ignored her and began to walk away. Suddenly, he groaned to himself and yelled back at her.

"You coming, weakling? If the master has ordered it, I'll put up with you for now. You had better keep up with me."

Y/n's eyes lit up and her heart swelled. She was really going on a mission with a hashira! Grinning, she followed his lead, noticing that Kaburamaru's eyes never left hers.

A/n: Should I write a Pt2?

1049 words