♡ Scars (Obamitsu) ♡

Genre: Angst

Ship: Obanai x Mitsuri

The sky was growing dark as the couple drove home, stars were beginning to sparkle overhead. Kanroji couldn't help but yawn; it had been a long day.

She watched intently as her boyfriend drove. All day he had been acting strange: snapping at people, refusing to talk to anyone, not holding her hand... he hadn't even kissed her yet today, which was very out of character for Iguro Obanai.

When they reached the front door, Mitsuri planted a kiss on Iguro's cheek, making his face go slightly pink. She put her arms around him affectionately but he simply shrugged her off as if she wasn't there. Kanroji frowned.

Jeez Iguro, why are you acting as if it's your time of the month?...

She wandered up the stairs, leaving Iguro behind to sort himself out. All day she had been trying to be compassionate towards him but she was getting tired of the act.

***

Kanroji was removing her makeup and applying her many layers of skincare, when she heard a loud crash in the bathroom. She shot up and swung open the bathroom door.

"Iguro! Are you- What on earth happened?"

The entire floor was covered in shattered glass, with the mirror completely destroyed in the middle of it. Iguro was shaking and fumbling with his bandages, pulling them up over his face. Kanroji tiptoed through the glass maze and put her hand to his cheek.

"Are you okay my love?" She looked into his eyes. He broke the eye contact almost immediately, beads of sweat running down his forehead.

"I'm fine." He stated, refusing to look at Kanroji.

"What the- you're not fine at all! You've been acting weird all day and... Oh goodness, look at your hand!" Kanroji panicked and grabbed Iguro's hand to inspect it; it was covered with glass shards. She threw him a questioning glance.

"Did you... attack the mirror or something?"

"Of course not!" He snarled, ripping his hand away from her. "It fell, that's all."

"Iguro. There's a hole in the middle of the mirror. We both know it didn't fall. Whatever's going on with you today, we could talk about it-"

"NO! YOU DON'T GET IT YOU COULD NEVER GET IT! YOU-" He dropped to his knees. "You deserve so much better than me. Than this."

Tears welled in Kanroji's eyes.

"Why would you say that? I love you Iguro, you already know this. Nobody could make me any happier than you. Now come on, give me a kiss and let's go back to bed."

Iguro didn't move.

"That's just it." He whispered. "I can't kiss you. Because everytime I pull down my bandages, I'm reminded of how worthless of a coward I am. How hideous a creature I was made into. You are a brave, beautiful girl. Why the hell would you want to kiss me? I know you think you love me, but what if love isn't enough? What if I'm just-" he paused. "Too far gone."

Kanroji's face was wet with tears now.

"Iguro Obanai, you listen to me right now." Her voice was angry, sad and loving all at once. It made Iguro's head heart to feel that much emotion coming from one person.

"You are the love of my life. I don't care in the slightest about a few old scars. You could be a horrible person, you could have killed 100 people, you could burn the whole damn world to the ground and I would still love you. No matter how hard I try not to, I will always love you."

She reached for his bandages and pulled them down to his neck. He held his breath as his scars became exposed. He stared down at the glass covered floor. He could see his face reflected in a million shards.

"I'm disgusting..." he muttered.

"You're human." Kanroji retorted. "All humans are dealt a hand in life. Your hand left you with those scars. One day you're going to have to accept that life goes on! You can't live in the past forever dammit!"

She kissed him.

"I know it's hard my love. So smash mirrors, keep your bandages up, do whatever you need to do. Just never, ever hate yourself Iguro. There is nothing in the world you could do that would make me stop loving you, and you need to start thinking about yourself that way too."

She placed small pecks along the lines at the sides of his mouth, trailing kisses all over the jagged edges of his scars. Salty tears spread over her lips, she couldn't tell who's they were. She just kept kissing him, all over his face until he finally stopped acting tough and slumped over into her arms.

She smiled and picked him up bridal style. The snake hashira was too tired to be embarrassed at this treatment, and was glad when she dropped him into bed. Of course, not nearly as glad as when she jumped in next to him and nuzzled her head in the crook of his shoulder.

I guess she really does love me...

He rolled over to face her and stroked her bubblegum pink hair away from her perfect face.

Maybe I'm not so bad after all.

871 words