♡ Phobia (ZenNezu) ♡

Genre: Hurt/comfort, fluff

Ships: Zenitsu x Nezuko, implied InoTan

"Zen, do you might waiting for her? She was meant to be done 10 minutes ago and I'm gonna be late for my detention!" Tanjiro was sweating. For someone who broke the school rules so much, he sure was scared of detentions.

Zenitsu nodded, glad that he trusted him with such an important responsibility. He knew that Tanjiro valued Nezuko's safety above all else, especially now that she was so vulnerable. After all, she'd only be human for a couple moons.

Zenitsu checked his watch for the third time that minute and looked up at the doors of the GP surgery. Still nothing. Nezuko was supposed to be out of there ages ago, he wondered what the hold up was. Almost instantly he began imagining the worst.

"What if she's DEAD!" he squealed, shuffling around on the spot. "Or HURT or ALONE or SCARED! What if the doctor is MEAN? Oh my poor Nezuko!" He chewed his fingernails aggressively.

Nezuko isn't some helpless little girl that needs protecting. Pull yourself together.

"But what if she's in troubleeee!" Zenitsu argued out loud with the voice in his head.

Give it a few more minutes. The doctors are probably just running late.

Outside-Zenitsu obeyed inner-Zenitsu. He plonked himself down on the grass and watched the minutes tick by on his watch.

Tick.

Tock.

10 minutes went by.

Tick.

Tock.

Then 15.

Tick .

Tock.

Then 20.

                            ***

When the clock marked 30 minutes, Zenitsu shot up. Something was wrong, he could feel it.

Breathing in as much courage as he could muster, the yellow-haired boy marched into the building, determined to find Nezuko and find out what was going on.

***

He found her in a supply cupboard.

She was curled up in the corner like a kitten, shaking violently. Zenitsu panicked and started checking her for wounds, however he only found a small smear of blood on her arm. Nezuko's face was streaming with tears and her eyes were full of terror.

"Nez? What happened? Did someone do this to you?" He felt anger boiling inside him. Nezuko was tough; someone must have done something really bad to put her in this state.

"I-" she sniffled. "I'm sorry..."

Zenitsu pushed the door shut with a click and shuffled next to her. "Shhhh, don't be sorry Nez, it's okay. Do you wanna tell me what happened?" He slipped his arm round her shoulders, aware that Tanjiro would kill him for being that close to his sister. Nezuko knew that too, but she leaned into him anyway.

"Ever since... um..." she wiped her face and tried to compose herself. "Ever since I became human again, I've had this m-massive phobia of blood. They put a needle in my arm and when I saw it coming out of me I p-pulled my arm away and ran..."

Zenitsu sighed. He felt guilty. Why on earth had they let her go in alone? Nezuko claimed to be fine but clearly she was still suffering from her time as a demon. Chronic fatigue, allergies, panic attacks, sun sensitivity... and now a phobia of blood.

Nezuko looked at the smear of red on her arm and gulped. Zenitsu immediately wiped it off with his thumb and stroked Nezuko's hair in an attempt to confort her. Tears welled in her eyes and her body shook against his, her hands clutching her skirt in fear. Zenitsu had no idea what to do.

Tanjiro would know...

"Nez, if you need Tanjiro I can call him over here-"

She shook her head and turned to look at Zenitsu. He saw guilt in her eyes.

"Hey now, I'm sure he wouldn't mind leaving his detention early for something as important as this! You don't need to feel bad!"

"I don't f-feel bad because of that!" She looked desperately into his eyes, her voice breaking. "I just don't want him right now. The only p-person I wanna see is you."

Inside Zenitsu was screaming with joy despite himself. Outside Zenitsu simply smiled faintly and pulled her closer.

"Okay Nez. We can stay here as long as you want to."

"I don't blimmin think so kid!" An angry voice yelled from the doorway. Zenitsu looked up to see a very angry nurse looming over them.

They were briskly kicked out of the building by a series of furious nurses; the sun was hanging low in the sky now.

Tanjiro must be home already.

That thought was confirmed when his phone began to vibrate in his pocket. Tanjiro had sent him 11 messages asking if he had got Nezuko... Zenitsu smiled guiltily and accepted his call.

"Zenitsu! Finally! What on earth have you been doing?" Tanjiro sounded both relieved and suspicious. Zenitsu laughed.

"The doctors were just running late Tanjiro! No need to worry! Nezuko and I decided to stop and get some icecream, although the queue was rather long so we took a while!"

Tanjiro tutted. "If you say so Zenitsu."

"HEY! WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!"

Tanjiro chuckled and didn't reply. Zenitsu could hear Inosuke in the background, shouting for 'Monjiro" to come back so they could finish what they were doing. Tanjiro obliged and muttered a cheerful goodbye to Zenitsu, warning him to come home before dark.

"Tanjiro has such a fat crush on Inosuke." He whispered into Nezuko's ear. She giggled.

"Right!? I swear he can't stop staring everytime the mask comes off!" They laughed together, walking slowly down the road back to their place. As they went, Nezuko began to blush.

"You okay Nez?" Zenitsu began to blush with her, simply because of how cute she looked in the sunset light.

"I um... I was just wondering if I could hold your hand!" She turned red and stared at the floor.

Inside Zenitsu was doing a victory dance. Outside Zenitsu did a little wiggle on the spot.

"Um- Of course you can Nezuko!" He reached for her, their fingers intertwining. Neither of them looked at eachother for the rest of the walk, but both of them were smiling.

1023 words