♡ Injuries (SaneGiyuu) ♡

Tw: blood, near death, hospitals

Genre: Hurt/comfort

Ship: Sanemi x Giyuu

Sanemi groaned in pain as Giyuu packed his wound with cloth. The water hashira scoffed.

"Do you want to bleed out? Stop wriggling and let me keep you alive for gods sake!" His tone was angry but Sanemi could tell that he was scared. This was bad. Very bad.

"Okay Tomioka, give it to me straight-" He choked on his words, blood dripping from his mouth. "Am I gonna die or what?"

"Shut up." Giyuu muttered. "Just shut up. You're not going anywhere."

Sanemi grinned, his teeth stained red. Giyuu fought the urge to slap him and continued to fumble with his stitches.

"Ow! God Tomioka do you have to do them so fast?" Sanemi winced as Giyuu rapidly stitched his side, stabbing and pulling at the nylon thread. Giyuu threw an icy glare at his partner.

"Didn't I just tell you to shut up?" He hurriedly wrapped Sanemi's torso in thick bandages. For a moment, his face softened. "You'll be fine Sanemi. You know Shinobu, she'll fix you up in no time."

"Pfft, Kocho can't bring a man back from the dead." He attempted to laugh, blood spewing from his mouth onto his fresh bandages. Giyuu gulped.

Sanemi was dying.

Once the realisation hit him, he threw him over his shoulder and sprinted back towards the demon slayer corps.

***

12 days. That's how long Sanemi slept for after the attack. Every few hours Giyuu would race up the stairs of Shinobu Kocho's infirmary, being yelled at to slow down by a series of butterfly nurses as he went. Every time he reached the top, Sanemi was the same: unmoving, covered in wires, barely alive.

His lung had been split open during the mission.

He was laughing. Laughing while he choked on his own blood. And I couldn't do anything to help.

Giyuu felt as if the guilt would eat him alive. He had barely been able to stitch the man up and even that had gotten infected later on. He didn't have a clue what was really going on inside of Sanemi: what parts were bleeding, what was failing.

If he dies, it will be all my fault.

Just like when Sabito died.

Giyuu refused to let himself cry. He sat at the end of Sanemi's bed and listened to the heart monitor. Every beep was a relief, it was proof that the wind hashira really did have a chance.

He spent 45 minutes sitting there, watching, listening. No change.

"Sanemi" he whispered. "Don't you dare die on me, you understand? I know you hate me but this is too far. Just wake up, okay?"

Giyuu sighed and tore his eyes from the monitor. A butterfly girl named Aoi knocked on the door and began to check his vitals. She worked swiftly, as if he wasn't there. Only when she was finished did she look at me.

"He's stable. He has been for days, plus he is getting stronger and breathing on his own. You shouldn't be so pessimistic."

Giyuu scowled at her and she immediately hurried away.

What does she know anyway.

The water hashira rose to his feet. When he reached for his backpack, he accidentally nudged the sleeping man in the arm.

"Sorry Sanemi." He mumbled subconsciously.

Giyuu almost had a heart attack when Sanemi's eyes fluttered open. He threw his bag back to the ground and leant over the bed, placing two fingers on his companion's neck.

"Oh my god." Giyuu breathed. "His pulse is normal..."

Sanemi began to reach for his oxegen mask, groggily swatting away the tubes and machines with his one uninjured arm.

"Stop, stop, let me do that!" Giyuu panicked. "Don't go and hurt yourself again!"

Slowly, he pulled the plastic oxegen mask away from Sanemi's scarred face. He smiled faintly and whispered something, so quiet and hoarse that Giyuu didn't hear it.

"Shhhh, shh, don't try to talk." Despite his best efforts, Giyuu couldn't contain his happiness. After almost two weeks of guilt and fear, Sanemi was finally back.

"I can go get the others if you want? You probably want to see Obanai or Rengoku-"

"No..." he murmured. "Just... you."

"Oh? Um okay..." Giyuu was surprised.

I always thought Shinizugawa hated me? Maybe he hasn't realised who I am yet. He's still half asleep.

"Shit, this hurts..." Sanemi hissed. He tried to sit up but was immediately shocked with pain and fatigue. The wind hashira's head was spinning with agony, he instinctively grabbed Giyuu by the wrist before fainting once again. Giyuu immediately panicked but couldn't go for help; Sanemi was clutching his wrist with a vice like grip.

"HEY! HEY YOU!" He yelled at a startled Kanao as she passed through the stairwell. "GET SHINOBU, RIGHT NOW!"

The Tsugoku darted off without a word. Sweat was pouring down Sanemi's face, he seemed to be regaining consciousness quickly.

"Ughhh, I feel like I've been hit by a bus- why the hell can't move my arms?" His eyes widened. "Oh shit, am I paralysed or something? DON'T JUST STAND THERE TOMIOKA DO SOMETH-"

He looked down at his hand, which was still clutching Giyuu's. His fingers were frozen in place; he couldn't let go.

"Ah shit." He muttered, red in the face from fighting both pain and embarrassment. "This is so humiliating."

All of a sudden, Shinobu burst through the doors of the infirmary. She immediately pumped a purple vial of something into Sanemi through the tube in his arm. Giyuu saw his face soften, the pain slowly melting away. He was relieved; it hurt seeing him like that. Even if they're meant to hate eachother, it didn't feel right watching him suffer.

Shinobu turned to him. "He will fall asleep again soon because of the medicine. If you have anything to say, say it now."

Giyuu nodded and she left them alone. He shuffled closer to Sanemi and watched his eyes start to droop again.

"I'll tell Obanai and the others that you woke up. They'll be pissed at me for not telling them sooner but It's okay..." He trailed off, not sure what else to say. "Goodnight again, Sanemi."

His eyes closed again, and his grip slackened on Giyuu's arm. The water hashira quickly caught his hand before it dropped and awkwardly held it as he fell asleep.

His hand is soft.

Giyuu smiled to himself. Gentle snores were now coming from Sanemi, indicating that he was asleep once more. He carefully let the wind hashira's hand out of his grip and softly placed it on the sleeping man's chest. The sun was now setting and orange light began streaming through the windows, painting swirling pictures across Sanemi's face.

He looks so pretty. And peaceful.

Before he knew it, Giyuu was blushing.

He heard a giggle from behind him and swirled around on his heel. Shinobu was in the doorway.

"You really are an awful person Giyuu~" she teased in her annoying voice. "Crushing on the guy you almost killed? Shame on you."

He rolled his eyes and shoved past her, sliding down the banister back down the stairs. He prayed that Shinobu didn't see the smile on his face as he went.

1179 words