Amayra's narrative

"Amayra!"

The loud voice brought me back from my thoughts. I looked at Angel, as she gestured me about something. I followed her pointed finger and my gaze landed on Mr. Samarth, who was looking at me. A blush spread across my cheeks as I noticed the entire class staring at me.

"Are you alright Amayra?" He asked.
I nodded my head and gestured him to continue, embarrassed.
The class continued as a paper ball landed on desk. I picked it up and unfolded it.

'Pathetic mute.'

I ignored the note until another paper ball was thrown.

'I bet you're a burden on your family.'

I felt tears forming in my eyes as I breathed deeply to calm myself.

Is that true?

Am I a burden on my family?

Yes I am.

I mean, every parent expect their children to have good grades and a good job. I could get good grades for them, but who would give a job to a mute like me? In short, I really am a burden.
It's not that I don't want to speak, but I'm too habitual to not speaking. I feel comfortable and I don't want to make an effort. It's easy to not speak rather than speaking something which could offend anyone.

The tears I tried so hard to control finally fell down. I wiped them immediately, trying not to disturb the classes. Another paper came but before I could react, a large hand grabbed it. I snapped my head towards the person.

"Who did it?"

Mr. Samarth asked calmly, scanning the whole classroom with his eyes. Everyone looked at each other, trying to catch the person.

"What's written in it, sir?" A girl asked, looking at him.
"You're a loser," he revealed the contents of the paper. He reached out for the other papers on my desk and read them.

"Pathetic mute."

"You're a burden on your family?" He raised his eyebrows, looking at the crowd of students in challenge. "I dare that person to confess," he said. A few students pointed to a boy at the back seats as I looked down.

"How can you say something like that?!"

"How shameless! Don't you have a heart?"

"You shouldn't say something like that to someone!"

A number of voices rose, defending me. My classmates were usually very supportive. Even as the children of wealthy families, they weren't spoilt rotten and respected everyone. However, since the boy was from an influential family, some people didn't dare say anything.

"You're going to be suspended for ten days and take it as a lesson," Mr. Samarth began calmly.

"I don't think you have the authority to do it. Only the principal can!" The boy challenged haughtily.

"Oh, I do. I'll make sure of it," he spoke dismissively and looked at him.

"My dad won't leave you-"

"I don't fear your dad. Do whatever you can but for now," he stared at him.

"Out!" He gritted his teeth in anger.

"I won't-" the boy started but was interrupted.

"Out of the class or I'll make sure your dad is bankrupt by the evening," a boy suddenly says, as everyone looked at him. I looked at the front, only to notice a boy with black hair and beautiful honey brown eyes glaring at the boy in the back. Whispers flew around as everyone started talking. The guy who threw paper balls at me suddenly looked pale as he silently walked out of the classroom, before throwing a glare at me. I stiffened at the action, when suddenly my teacher spoke.