Chapter 53 - Let's Eat Meat! (2)

Throughout the dinner, Roman carefully watched the interaction between his brother and Valentina. Many people thought that because he was cheerful and outgoing, he was to be taken lightly. But the Grayson family was strict in their way of raising their children and he had gotten the exact training that Kaiser had gotten.

His brother who was usually indifferent to the charms of women was attentively grilling short ribs for a woman. The same woman who he had moved into the house that hadn't had any woman in there since 'she' died.

Watching both Luca and Kaiser pay attention to her during the meal, Roman wondered what it was about her. Sure, she was beautiful and made people want to protect her with her frailness but that was common to them. As someone who was part of the upper class and even owned an entertainment company, beautiful faces were a dime a dozen. He and his brother had seen every type of beauty, from cute soft-spoken types to fiercely beautiful ones. 

It couldn't be her beauty alone that would cause Kaiser to warn their parents away.

"Uncle do you want some ribs?" a soft voice asked him. Roman looked down and saw Luca looking at him while holding out a piece of meat. His large green eyes were sparkling as he happily looked at Valentina every few seconds.

"Of course my baby Luca. Uncle will take whatever you give me." Roman smiled while excitedly holding out his plate.

Seeing Luca smile happily while placing some meat on his plate, Roman felt his heart warm. Maybe this was the reason Kaiser wanted to tie her down. His nephew was a child of few smiles once he turned two. Seeing his cute smile as he looked at Valentina, he couldn't help but think they looked like mother and son with their matching bear sweaters. And then there was the grumpy father bear in the background.

Pulling out his phone, Roman was about to take a couple of photos but paused when he saw the simultaneous glare from Kaiser and Valentina.

"I'm just sending a picture of Luca to mom and dad. Can't I even do that?" Roman protested

"Leave me out of it."

"Leave her out of it."

The two commanded him simultaneously.

Roman: "........"

Brother. Sister-in-law. Do you two have to be so in sync?

"Brother, who do you think I am? Of course, I know that much!" Roman protested. He wasn't the type to go against his brother when he was fighting with their parents.

"Send it when you get home," Kaiser ordered.

"Brother...?" Roman whineed but Kaiser simply stared at him.

"Don't think I don't know why you want to post it now. It seems you don't want to take a vacation this year, right? And you plan on working triple overtime for free with no bonus? How kind of you to save the company some money. Shall I announce your altruistic deeds to our shareholders?" Kaiser threated with a large smile.

Seeing that Kaiser had seen through his ruse of sending the photo to their parents, so they 'accidentally' showed up, Roman gave a sheepish grin.

"Sorry Brother."

"No apologies needed, cook your own meat and then find your own way home."

Seeing Kaiser place a perfectly grilled piece of wagyu beef on Valentina's plate, Roman felt like he could cry.

Forgetting that he had tried to plot against her, he quickly turned to Valentina with tears in his eyes, "Sister-in-lawwwwww. You have to help me! You have to save me!"

Valentina gently placed a piece of beef in her mouth and closed her eyes to savor it as it melted. Mmmm, how delicious. Done eating it, she glanced at Roman through the side of her eyes. She had perfectly understood what Kaiser was insinuating. Roman was setting her up to see their parents, something she absolutely did not want.