Chapter 123 - Variety Show (24)

Sorry, friends, for not posting for a while. Life has been hard TT_TT

"Go tell your father I'll stop by to see him in a bit. I need to take care of my people first. Let's go, Valentina. I'm sure you're hungry and tired of standing in those shoes. Sorry for the delay."

Catching the attention of the nervous-looking host, who had been watching the entire conversation, Kaiser boldly walked forward while holding Valentina's hand.

"Good afternoon, sir, madam, and young master. I am so sorry for the not arriving sooner. There was a large party to settle, and it was all hands on deck for our staff members. Your private room is ready. Please follow me." The host announced before leading them to the private elevator.

As they walked behind the host, Valentina glanced up at Kaiser before pulling her hand away from his. With no hesitation, he immediately grabbed her hand again, his large fingers entwining with hers while his thumb caressed the back of her hand.

Arching her eyebrows at him before peeking at Alexandria, she quietly allowed him to hold her until they entered the private room. As they walked in and the host left after arranging menus and water on the table, she removed her hands from his before facing him with a mischievous smile

"You don't have to stay here. You can go eat with your childhood friend. She seems to really want you to meet her father. Luca and I can entertain ourselves. Just make sure to leave your card behind so we can splurge. I plan on making you go broke."

Kaiser snorted coldly while pulling out the chair for her. "Why would I go eat with someone I've yet to settle the score with for her family's grandson bullying Luca." Glancing at Luca, who was sitting in a daze, he continued in a low voice as he brought his face close to hers, "You remember those kids who were bullying him when we first met?"

"Wait, really? Was it... the red-haired kid?" as she struggled to recall the incident, Valentina finally remembered a little red-haired boy who had kicked her shin after bad-mouthing Luca and asking if she knew who his father was.

"Yep. He's the nephew to that red-haired brat we met. The son of her eldest brother. I gave her brother the opportunity to make amends before taking any drastic steps since their father is a good man and our families work together well. However, since he's too good to apologize, and his dear little sister has come buzzing around me and brought up some bad memories, I might as well speak to the one in charge and get Luca a nice present out of it." Seeing Kaiser's chilly smile, she simply blinked as she sat down.

"Well, make sure the grandson gets a proper scolding for bullying my little nugget. As for the rest, have fun. I have a more important question for you.

"What's wrong?" His expression immediately got serious as he wondered what was on her mind.

Thinking about Lia and now Alexandria calling him by a nickname, she gave him a teasing smile while resting her head on her hand, her fox-shaped eyes curved like half-moons. "Kai, huh? I guess everyone who grew up with you calls you that? It's a cute name. I feel left out just calling you Kaiser."

"If you want, you can call me that. You can also try calling me Baby. Honey. Darling. Sweetheart. Why don't I give you a nickname as well? Hmm, Auntie Val?"

"God, no. Please don't call me that."

At her frown, Kaiser laughed before sighing while looking at the door.

Seeing his mood get somber again, she couldn't help but ask."So, are you going?"

"I'll use the opportunity to stop by. I am quite annoyed having to deal with unwanted nuisances. I just wanted to have a nice meal with you. This is why I don't like going out to restaurants unless it's fully reserved."

Hearing the casual bragging about ridiculous things, Valentina rolled her eyes.

"Look at you. You're so fancy fully reserving a restaurant. What are you afraid of? Getting swarmed by all your little fan girls screaming Kai Kai while batting their lashes at you while pinching your cheeks and chasing you down?"

"Naturally." Kaiser slung his arms over her chair, his usual cocky smile plastered on his face. "Your man is very popular, you know. I wouldn't have to deal with them if you would just agree to marry me. So, what do you say? Wanna get hitched?"

"I think you're full of shi- oops, I mean crap." Valentina immediately corrected herself while glancing at Luca. "Go have your conversation, then come and eat with us when you're done."

"Rather than a conversation, it will be me insulting how Chairman McCrary raised his eldest son. Then, insulting his daughter for being rude and shameless. Finally, I'll try to wring out some benefits for Luca by evoking the pity of a grandparent for my son. Hopefully, the old man doesn't have a heartache from anger." Chuckling darkly, Kaiser got up before patting her and Luca's heads.

"Order whatever. No limit, and get me some of whatever you're having, please."

"And if I get the most expensive bottles of alcohol and meat and properly clean the entire establishment out?" Valentina smiled mischievously at him.

"Go for it. I can afford it. Money is meant to be spent. I'll be back soon." Giving her one last smile, he walked out while sending the waiter in.

"Wait," she called out to him, and he turned back. Before you go, lend me your phone. I promise I won't peek at anything. I just want to surf the web."

"Sure. The password is Luca's birthday if it locks again." He quickly unlocked it and gave it to her with no hesitation, then turned to leave.

Waving him out, she turned to Luca and got his attention.

"My little nugget. What shall we order? Your father said there's no budget today, and we don't eat out often, so let's properly waste his money."

Luca was quiet for a moment as his large eyes examined her. As she was going to ask the question again, he spoke up softly.

"Auntie? Do you like me?"

"Of course I do, my little nugget. You're my favorite person." After all, where would she find such a cute, well-behaved kid?

"More than Dad?"

"Of course. Way better than your dad. Luca is my number one. Why do you ask little nugget?" She pressed a bunch of kisses to his cheek and smiled at him. Who wouldn't like such a cute, well-behaved child?

Luca looked at her silently for a moment. His lips quivered softly, and the true question he wanted to ask almost burst out of his mouth.

Why are you leaving? Why are you leaving me? Do you not like me? Do you not want me?

He felt like crying and asking for a hug.

Instead, he smiled softly like a good kid his auntie liked and responded, "I'm hungry, Auntie Val. I want dino chicken nuggets and fries."

Valentina: "......"

They were at a premier steakhouse. Fries were fine, but where was she supposed to find chicken nuggets? And dinosaur-shaped ones at that?

"How about I read the menu to you, and we try to eat something new? We can try it together, and if you don't like it, we can try and find something else. What do you say?"

"...mmm okay!"

As she began reading and describing each menu item and pulling up the pictures so he could see, the waiter deposited steaming bread rolls and butter on the table before leaving silently once more.

As she buttered some bread for her and Luca, before she continued reading the menu out loud, the door slammed open again.

"That was quick. Welcome back." She glanced at the door before frowning.

"Sister-in-law! Brother is bullying me again! You have to save me!" Roman cried as he dashed into the room.

As Valentina glanced from Roman's tearful face to the surprised-looking Alexandria who stood behind him and an angry-looking Kaiser who towered over her, she wanted to sigh.

What was going on, and why did the trouble keep coming to her?

Seriously. Could she just go home?