Epilogue- Forever & Always

10 years later

In what way shape or form can a mother be ready to send her kid away? If I turn back, I see how small he was when he was born but now he is all grown up and ready to go away

"Is this because I pester you about food? I just worry about you Darsh."

"Mumma, first of all, I am not going to college because you pester me about food. I'm going to college to study. Second of all, today is my last day here, do you really wanna talk about this?"

"But you don't have to go to college to another country!"

"Wha- you went to another country!" I fought with my own mother too. What an idiot I was. Darsh sits up and wraps his arms around me. "I'll be back before you know it." I will know it the second he leaves but he doesn't realize that. He says he is all grown up and maybe he is but for me, he is still my baby. Just taller and stronger and yes, seventeen.

The once yellow walls of his room are gone, now painted beige. My kid is growing up and becoming mature now. I need to steel my spine too. I knew this day would come eventually. We both get up and out of his bed to walk in to the room next door.

It's late and so it's story time.

"And then the prince won the battle and married the princess." I sit on the edge of the bed and Darsh stands behind me to whisper down just for me.

"See mumma. Atleast you have Shivam."

"What do you mean by atleast you have Shivam? You are both my sons and I love both of you."

"Fine, sorry."

Kunal shuts the storybook and our six year old son blinks up at him. "Papa?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did the prince marry the princess?"

"Well, he loved her. And when a man truly loves a woman, he fights for her and they eventually, hopefully, end up together." I smile at Kunal who smiles back at me. Our battles were different but we did fight.

We moved on from the past but we never forgot it. When Darsh was fifteen, I sat him down and told him everything about Adarsh. I gave him everything I had of his father because he deserved it. Darsh looks more like Adarsh by every new day and I've seen him miss his dad.

But never once did my son forget the man that raised him. Kunal is more of a friend than I could ever be. He is the cool parent while I am the hyperventilating one. When Darsh was eleven we had our second son, Shivam. He is as much Kunal as Darsh is Adarsh.

I don't understand why none of my children have a single one of my characteristics when I was the one who carried them around for nine months each.

"Is it necessary to marry the princess?" Darsh sits down beside me. "No bud. It's absolutely not. You can be single forever, it's cool."