12. Champagne Problems

I like the Kapoor Gala

I like the Kapoor Gala. Though I've never attended it. Every year, the event is hosted in our largest hotel in Mumbai. Business associates from all over the country come for it. Some even come from abroad. It's pretentious to some but it seems fun.

All Kapoor employees are invited. Along with employees of some other prominent companies. Every year, two hours before the event starts, I check into a beautiful suite in our hotel and enjoy my evening in a fluffy cotton robe, eating ice cream in bed and watching re-runs of Brooklyn nine- nine.

It's my classic plan for the evening every year. I laze around in the room while everyone downstairs parties and has the time of their lives. Atleast that's what the articles say about the Gala. That it is the biggest party of the year. But I enjoy myself upstairs too.

I can't even lie to save my life. I hate it. I hate sitting in this room in a stupid bathrobe while everyone dresses up for the evening. I hate sulking here, eating ice cream while everyone chats over the finest of cheese to exist, paired with their, Cabernet Sauvignon.

I love Brooklyn nine- nine but I don't enjoy it as much while I know people downstairs are dancing and chatting and listening to live music. It's fucking annoying. Why do I have to be scared of crowds? They are just people. But I can't seem to face them. Everyone has problems but they find solutions. I can't even seem to do that. Years of therapy and it wasn't worth shit.

I fall back on my bed in defeat and stare at the ceiling. It has a chandelier. A smaller version of the one hanging in the main hall where the party is. Maybe I should watch something else today. Game of thrones? Avengers? Gossip girl? Breaking bad? S-

The door opens and I frown. I locked it. A man in a cream colored checkered suit with a plain white shirt walks in and waves his keycard in my face. Son of a-

His hair is a mass of medium brown curls on top of his head. His hazel eyes dancing with joy and mischief. "What are you doing here?" He doesn't reply. Instead, he throws a cloth bag on the bed beside me. "What's in this?"

"Something better than that hideous robe that you are wearing." I clutch my robe tightly around me. "It's fluffy and it's comforting." He points towards the garment bag. "That's silk and it's empowering. Go change."

"What for?" Ansh rolls his eyes and walks further inside the room after shutting the door behind him. He looks through the draws on the vanity and pulls out my makeup bag. "Here, use this too. Go all out."

He is getting ruder by the minute. "You think I need makeup?"

"Just put it on."

"You're not even denying it!" I snatch the makeup bag out of his hand, pick the garment bag up and walk inside the bathroom.

I tear open the bag and it is a silk tube gown that has pink and green foil prints on it. The base is white but it has the colorful prints that highlight it. He has good taste in fashion. Ten points for that. After alot of time and effort, I put my hair into a pretty bun.