17. This Is Me Trying

The dried leaves crunch under our boots and the December air chills our bones as we cross the little bridge over the lake and walk further in towards the most beautiful castle I've ever seen

The dried leaves crunch under our boots and the December air chills our bones as we cross the little bridge over the lake and walk further in towards the most beautiful castle I've ever seen. Fog obstructs me view slightly, the Delhi air not at all merciful, but I see the architecture in all it's glory.

It's late, the sky is dark and the golden lights on the castle make it shine. "This is where you grew up?" My wife nods beside me. She chose for us to stay with her parents tonight, then we can fly back to our own lives tomorrow.

"Yeah. Me, Amisha, mumma, papa, our four horses and a ghost."

A what?

"There is a ghost here?"

"There used to be. I never saw her, but mumma told me all the stories. There was a ghost in this house when she came here to live."

"And then?"

"Then she scared it away." Heh? Her lips tilt up in amusement as she looks at my confusion. There, the first smile since morning. I finally got her to do it. I think Adarsh would be proud of me for that, though I've never met the man, I am sure he wanted her to always be happy. Shaira rings the bell and we wait for a while before her mother opens the door.

Her eyes widen before she smiles lightly, a little sad but still relieved. I fold my hands in greeting and she hugs us both. It's comforting, much too similar like hugging my own mother. We walk further inside and I take in the place. Is the ghost still here? Just maybe in hiding?

Two steps further ahead and I realize Shaira isn't walking beside me. She stopped a few steps ago and is staring at the woman infront of us. A woman I don't know.

"Ma."

I stare at my wife, who seems like a different person now as she runs forward to hug the woman who cries in her embrace. Shivansh papa walks down the stairs with Amisha behind him. None of them say anything. They just look at me then back at Shaira who consoles the crying woman.

What is happening here? And why do I feel invisible? It's a good thing I suppose since I don't know anything. The women pull away and Shaira turns to me. "Ma, this is Kunal." The elder woman stares for a second before a sad smile curves onto her face. "Your husband."

It wasn't a question. It was a statement. She knows who I am and she seems conflicted about it. She walks closer and stops infront of me. The pieces click into place before she introduces herself. "I am Adarsh's mother."

Fuck.

The last thing she would want to do on her son's death anniversary is see his widow's new husband. My parent's teachings and morals precede me as I bend forward to touch her feet. She doesn't bless me, doesn't say it, doesn't put her hand on my head. And I wait quite a while for her to do it.

I stand up straight again to find her watching me with cold acceptance. She cannot do anything about this situation, Shaira and I are already married, though that doesn't mean she likes it. Papa gazes at me from behind his glasses, his eyes calculative, looking at me like a case study. It makes my skin itch.