9. Gold Rush

I walk into Kunal's house and it is as empty as the liquor bottle on the table

I walk into Kunal's house and it is as empty as the liquor bottle on the table. The party already started and I am fucking late. The house doesn't have much furniture left, just the bare minimum. Advait looks up at me and smiles. He is fucking drunk already. "You have to get married tomorrow. Don't be drunk while you do that."

Dev sputters around his glass of whiskey and everyone frowns at him. I know Dev through Yuvaan. Unlike, Advait, Yuvaan, Kunal and I, who went to the same school and hence know each other more, Dev grew up in Delhi.

I used to meet Dev during summer vacation when he used to come to the Rathore house with Shaira and Amisha. I am older than all of them, but since I was a single child, I got a family in the Rathore mansion. Not many in the industry know but Veera Malhotra and Vivaan Rathore are actually my godparents. Just like my parents are Yuvaan's.

I sit beside Yuvaan on the couch as he leans forward to rub Dev's back while he coughs. He also gives two or three hard pats to his cousin's back. That was absolutely personal and had no relation with the help he is offering. "What is up with you? You're acting weird for months now. And everytime someone says the word marriage, you pale."

Dev glares at Yuvaan after he has calmed down from his fit. "Shut up. It's nothing like that." Kunal frowns. "Did you get some girl pregnant and now have to marry her?" He gets a cushion in his face as an answer.

Advait, the most drunk out of us all, sighs. "You people need to chill. It's fun. Everybody should get married." Dev pulls the glass out of Advait's hand. "Tumhari zyada ho gayi hai."

(You've had more than enough.)

"No! Give it back. This is my party, I am getting married tomorrow!" He whines like a kid until Kunal gives him  new glass. I frown at my friend. I've known him for years, he enjoys drinking but not this much. Is it nerves?

"Advait? Are you okay? Do you......not want to get married?" He grins like an idiot and sighs dreamily. "I do. I do want to get married." Kunal stares at his brother before tipping his glass in a toast. "My boy is toasted. But he is happy." He drowns the glass and seems as drunk as Advait, who by the way has a smile so big, it could split his face.

"Firdaus is that good huh?" I attempt to tease but I am horrible at it. Advait jerks in his seat. "God, no." Heh?

"She is not good?"

"She aggravates me. She is annoying, arrogant and in simple words, a hooligan." Dev frowns. "Then why are you marrying her?"

The smile on Advait's face returns. "Because she is also super pretty, strong headed, clever, stubborn, intoxicating and simply....... still a hooligan. But an amazing hooligan. I choose to see all the good she has. I see the bad too but I'll deal with it. The good is just.........too good to let go." Yep. Our boy is toasted. With the drinks and with the girl. Dev stares at Advait in thought before sighing and looking away.