21. Exile

I've been in this house for a month and I've never been alone

I've been in this house for a month and I've never been alone. Someone is always there beside me, telling me that I made the right decision. Especially bhaiya. He has a vendetta against Dev now. And I don't blame him for it. Dev tricked me. I was stupid and he used it against me.

I resigned from my job, and no one told me to find another one. They just let me sit in my room and glare around at everything. The door opens and I expect choti ma but it's the most unexpected person ever.

"Hello Isha."

"Took you a whole month to come see me, Trisha di." She smiles bitterly and shuts the door behind her. I push myself against the headboard and she sits infront of me.

"I didn't come before because I needed you to cool down. I am not here to tell you what everyone else does. I am here to tell you the opposite."

"You think I should've gone with Dev?"

"Back then? No. Now? Yes." What happened to her? She was the first to stand up and scream if someone did something wrong and yet here she is, trying to make me go with someone who wronged me.

"What changed with you di? What happened to my always angry sister?"

"She fell in love." I don't know why that made me flinch. Love is supposed to be comforting and yet everytime I hear that word now, it reminds me how Dev said it. It reminds me how sad and desperate he looked and then it reminds me what all he did to me.

"What he did was wrong. And I can never go back to him."

"Tell me Isha, when you were in school and you didn't know the answer to some question, did you ever cheat?" I frown but nod.

"Why? Why did you cheat? What did that bring you?"

"Marks. Good marks."

"Right. You did it for the prize. Cheating is morally wrong but if you get a good result then who cares? Same way what he did was morally wrong but he got you in the end."

"I am a person and I have my own choices! He took those choices away!"

"Your choices have always been yours Isha! You chose to do what you liked and then you blamed everyone for it." She stands up and paces the room.

"You could've told the judge the truth, you have always defied everyone's suggestions and orders, even your own boss's but you chose to lie. You could've told us that you were married ages ago but you chose to hide it. You did. You could've told us you were living with him but you chose to lie. You could've left with him that day but you chose to stay! No one held your hand and said don't leave with him. You stayed back on your own. These were all your choices Isha.

Tell me, you hated Dev when he was just your boss, you complained about him everyday. If he would've asked you to date him or marry him, would you have ever said yes?" I shake my head and she gives a humorless laugh.