Chapter 21: Fear

Two days later, Win is discharged from the hospital. Doctor Napasorn is satisfied with the progress in terms of his blood pressure and his baby. He has also been eating well. All bad thoughts that he has about eating subside, especially when he thinks of his unborn baby. He or she needs as much nutrition as possible to grow healthy.

The man told P'Eed in advance to text Bright about his discharge. It is because he won't be coming home to him. His phone keeps ringing with calls from Bright, but he can't bring himself to pick up. He needs time to process everything. He needs space to think and re-evaluate everything.

Win will be staying at his manager's house for the time being. As soon as they arrive at the house, Win lays himself down on the sofa in the living room. It feels weird, being in a house that is not the one which he shares with Bright. Although Phi Eed's house is much bigger and comfortable, he can't help but long to sleep on the cheap white sofa that Bright bought when they first moved in.

He sighs for the umpteenth times today. The time shows five minutes past 12 in the afternoon. P'Eed, who's standing at the door, moves to sit next to him. "You know the problem will be solved if you pick up his call, right?" She softly says, rubbing his shoulder in a comforting manner. "Bright has been texting me, asking about you. All I can say is you need to talk to him, nong. No matter how long you plan to hide here, you'll have to talk to him, eventually. Both of you are having a child together," she reminds him.

Win turns to look at the woman. "There's nothing to talk about for now. I want to move out of that house," he impulsively makes his decision and stands up. "Let's go and get my stuff there, phi. Come with me na? He should be working today, so we won't meet him." Thankfully, he has the house key with him.

"Nong, we've just arrived here from the hospital. Are you sure you want to do this now?" P'Eed questions with evident doubt in her voice.

"Khrab, phi. Let's go," he urges the woman. P'Eed is confused, but she follows after him, anyway.

The superwoman drives Win to the house. Win falls asleep in the car because the traffic is terrible. They arrive almost forty minutes later. P'Eed wakes him up, and he feels the need to vomit instantly. He takes out a soothing balm from his pocket and opens its cap. He holds the balm near his nose and inhales the peppermint scent. His nausea gets better after that.

Win stretches out his sore legs. He notices the car that he borrowed from his father is still parked outside of the gate.

"Are you alright, nong?"

The young man hums. "I'm good, phi. I'm just a little hungry."

"Shall we go and eat first?"

"Mai ao, phi. No, we're already here. Let's go and pack my things. Then we can eat," Win says. The woman nods and both walk through the small gate, heading to the front door. Win twists the key in the keyhole and pushes the door open. He is engulfed by a silence the moment he steps into the house.

P'Eed closes the door and taps on Win's shoulder. "Just tell me what you want to bring. I'll pack them for you. You shouldn't be lifting any heavy things at the moment."

Win's heart moves at her gesture. "Phi, I don't know what I'd do without you," he whispers. His eyes are glistening with tears already.

"Ai this kid. Don't cry," P'Eed huffs dramatically. Win can't help but giggle. He is hormonal nowadays. He'd cry for a minute and laugh for the next.

"I guess you can gather my things at my table, phi," Win points towards his working table. P'Eed nods and gets to work immediately.

Win is a little paranoid at how quiet the house is. Ame and Charlotte are nowhere to be seen. Did Bright bring them along with him to work? The man carefully steps on each stair leading to the bedroom. The room looks the same. It seems like Bright has changed their old bedding to a new one. It's his favorite color, neon green. People who do not like the color might see it as a weird or rare color for a bedding, but for Win, it looks gorgeous.