xxi.

"Damn."

The unbelievably slow pace these two girls were walking down the road was so slow even the boys caught up. With Twobit being a surprise guest. Granted, they did make pit stops to just talk or look at something that caught their attention.

"Damn! Y'all walk slower than a full turkey!" Twobit shouted, drunkenly, at the two girls in front of him with Johnny, Ponyboy, and the two soc girls behind him.

Evelyn and Juliette looked at each other. Using that "best friend look" knowing that both of them could burst out laughing in a matter of seconds. Evelyn's nose was flared and Jules had a hand over her mouth preventing even the tiniest giggles from coming out.

"Twobit what the fuck was that.." Evelyn said in a squeaky voice while she stuttered as laughs and chuckles were threatening to come out. She cleared her throat and repeated her sentence this time saying it more clearly.

"Don't know felt weird coming out of my mouth." He smirked as he and the others had gotten to the two girls who were ahead of them. "What y'all been doin' huh?" He smiled and placed an arm around Jules as if he hadn't just been sweet-talking Marcia.

"Nothin' much. We was just talking and shit." Evelyn shrugged kicking some pebbles and dirt. Her head was placed down and her mood dropped once again. Johnny came and leaned against the fence right next to Evelyn. Didn't change anything she just seemed more annoyed but didn't show it.

"Were," Ponyboy said in response to her response. He had a small frown on his face as he had his thumbs in his belt hoops. "What?" Evelyn mumbled looking up at him.

"Your grammar." Pony explained while the others had finally caught up with him. "Shut the fuck up and don't talk to me again.." Evelyn finished while Ponyboy rolled his eyes already so used to her behavior. Two-bit chuckled.

"Cherry look what's coming," Marcia said after a moment of silence. It was a tuff blue Mustang heading the group's way. One of the two soc girls looking very agitated. Of course, it had to be the redhead.

(No hate to any beautiful redheads out there 🩵)

Everyone else also looked. A blue Mustang could be seen, driving slowly. Johnny made this weird sound in his throat that Evelyn heard as she was closest. She looked up to him her frown faltering for a little then giggling softly. Johnny's cheeks were as red as a cherry when he heard her soft giggles. But his tannish skin, and the dark night, kept him from being too embarrassed.

"What are we going to do?" Marcia nervously spoke shifting uncomfortably. "Stand here," Cherry mumbled chewing on her nails. "There isn't much else we can do."

"Who is it? The F.B.I.?" Two-bit blurted out. "No," Cherry said sounding disappointed. "It's Randy and Bob." She mumbled after a moment of silence. The names sounded so bittersweet.

"Randy and Bob." Evelyn imitated Cherry's voice all squeaky and quiet. Johnny snickered lightly and Cherry snapped her head towards her.

"And," Two-bit said, not having heard Evelyn's comment bringing Cherry's attention back to the important thing. "A few other socially elite checkered-shirt sets." He said, rather smugly.

"Your boyfriends?" Johnny spoke up. He seemed nervous and he looked like he was shaking. Cherry shook off his question and started walking. Everyone else seemed to follow her but Evelyn. Jules had to drag her away.

"Maybe they won't see us. Act normal." Cherry hopefully said. "Who's acting?" Two-Bit smirked walking all jumpy and drunk. "I'm a natural normal."

"The fuck does that even mean?" Juliette said in sync with Ponyboy's snarky comment,