xiv.

a car ride around town

"Dallas. Do you have a car by any chance?" Evelyn asked Dal as he was laughing and trying to put Johnny and Pony off their game. "Nah, but I could ask Buck to lend me his. Why do you need it?" He asked looking up and standing. "Errands to run." She smiled innocently.

She was still stressing out. If she was a part of these boys' life that means in the future she could be in a book. A book report. One of the most famous ones of her time. And she couldn't get close to them. She knew two of them had to die. If she got close she'll have no choice but to want to save them. And she's heard of the consequences of messing with time.

After overhearing their conversation pony dropped his cards. "I fold." He quickly said to Johnny and headed over to them. It was pretty shocking too. He had a pretty good set of cards compared to Johnny's. He could've won ten weeds. "Could I go with you? I don't want to spend all day in here." Pony asked Evelyn and Juliette and for a quick second, their smiles broke. But Evelyn was quick to recover.

"Why not?" She answered, her voice strained. Ponyboy frowned at her tune but got his shoes on. It was Johnny's turn, now. "Hey, uh, I wouldn't mind going." Evelyn nodded, and Juliette sighed. "Hey! We don't even know if we got the car or not!" Juliette shouted, tired. She always seemed to be even with a full twelve hours of sleep.

Dallas frowned. "Attitude." He sternly said to Juliette. She looked at him with a blank face and scoffed. "Ok.."
"I'll go call my buddy, Buck." He said and left to the phone in the house. Evelyn frowned. "Ugh, imagine having a phone like that? I'd die if every time I called someone in the neighborhood could go on the line." Evelyn whispered in Juliette's ear. They looked at each other and chuckled.

Dallas came back after two minutes or so and clapped his hands together. "So he said he don't mind if I use it he just don't want no broad driving." He announced glancing at the girls in the room. They scoffed and crossed their arms in unison, both girls looking at each other weirdly.

"So I'll be back with the T-Bird. Watch them." Dallas mouthed to Pony and Johnny. They nodded. And so Dallas left leaving Ponyboy and Johnny alone with two teenage girls. Ain't that great?

Evelyn sighed crossing her arms. Johnny stared at her again. Finding himself stuck on her face. Juliette noticed this and gave him a look but he couldn't see her his eyes couldn't focus on anything else. Juliette frowned but smirked. "Johnny, is it?" He nodded in response taking his eyes off Evelyn once he heard his name being spoken.

"How old are you?" Juliette smugly asked, picking her nails to come off as more intimidating to the young boy. "I'm, uh, I'm sixteen. Why?" He asked, rubbing his neck. Had he caught her staring? Is that why she was asking he thought to himself. Evelyn widened her eyes. "Nuh-uh. You're not sixteen." Evelyn butted in. To her, he didn't look, act, or talk like one. She had to constantly remind herself she isn't in 2023.

"But I am. I was born in 1949." Johnny nodded, awkwardly shy. How was she to be judging if she was smaller than him?

Evelyn and Juliette gave each other a side glance. Then laughed. What they were laughing at? They had no idea. "I don't get what's funny about that?" Johnny asked, slightly pressed and confused as it was obvious to girls were laughing at him.

The best friends stopped their giggle fit. "I'm so sorry." Evelyn smiled. Johnny scoffed and leaned back into his seat as Ponyboy watched it all play out.

"What the fuck just happened?"

"Pony you ain't allowed to say words like that..."

Dallas came back after five minutes or so revving his engine loud enough for everyone in the house to notice his presence on the outside. The four of them walked out, Johnny letting the girls go first, having to stop Ponyboy.

Dallas chuckled and took his glasses off. "Hey!" He exclaimed, happy. Everyone sort of nodded and waved. He slightly frowned at the kid's next attitude change and he scoffed getting relaxed into the car.

As the two boys got into the car, ultimately passing the girls when they broke into a private conversation. The girls were discussing how they were going to get back to the machine they left in the middle of nowhere.

"I mean we could distract them but I don't think these boys have the attention span for a movie." Evelyn nodded intently. "Hurry up or we're leaving your asses!" Dallas shouted, impatient. The two girls rushed into the car.

Five minutes and they were already strolling through the middle of town. It was surreal to see such things to these girls. The prices, the happy faces, the nice people, non-pedophiles. Everything was something that really could've helped the girls develop better than they did. Nowadays you can't see genuinely happy people. How could the world change this much?

The girls admiring the view failed to notice the two young boys watching them. "Hey, Pony do you even know why they were in your house last night?" Johnny whispered in his ear still staring, slightly concerned and slightly admiring.

Ponyboy frowned but shook his head. It was true. He had no idea who these girls were. And to think the first thing they saw him in was his draws. He blushed at the thought.

"Gee, pony you're blushing pretty hard." Johnny chuckled airily. Ponyboy sighed. "Leave me alone."

Dallas was slowing down as he approached a Dairy Queen. He hasn't had anything at all that day and with Buck's T-Bird he would do whatever he wants. Even if he didn't he's Dallas Winston the greaser with no grease in his hair.

He pulled into the parking lot and Juliette groaned about to start a fit. "Hey, I already ate!" Juliette whined as Evelyn slightly slapped her at her petty attitude. Dallas rolled his eyes as he turned the engine off. "She always like this?" He asked Evelyn, taking his glasses off and turning to them.

Evelyn nodded.

Dallas chuckled slightly not believing how Evelyn could put up with it. Even Evelyn didn't know she just did.

"Hey, we're going to be inside you girls run the errands you need to," Dallas claimed hooping out the car, in a sort of cool way. Or so he thought.

Evelyn and Juliette got out of the car in ecstasy. "Really? Alright bye!" Evelyn smiled and hurried over to the main source for their being there.

"By-Bye!" Johnny stuttered, waving as he tried to wave to Evelyn. It was only Jules who responded and that sort of saddened him. He scolded himself mentally for being so head over heels for someone who he's barely spoken two words to.

——
A/N: Sorry all I have. more chapters are in editing.