xiii.

three boys left and the realization

"Hey, man." Dallas greeted his buddy with a handshake just as Darry came out of the kitchen doing who knows what.

"What'd you do, Dal?" And for a second Dallas looked almost scared. Almost. "I beat up some, uh, some soc." The girls giggled and Darry sighed. "Why is that my problem." And Dallas put on a blank face. He sighed and sat down next to Johnny messing with his hair.

"Jules, who the fuck is that?" Evelyn whispered in Juliette's ear as she saw Johnny. Being too busy sulking and tired she didn't realize Johnnys' arrival. "The kid that, uh, the kid that came in earlier," Jules said turning to look at Evelyn. "You didn't notice?" Evelyn shook her head and shrugged.

"Hey, who are those girls?" Dallas whispered in his friend's ear. Steve turned to him and shrugged. "Don't know they was in here when I got here," Steve responded and went up to Soda goofing around with him.

"Alright! Soda, Steve out! Ponyboy school starts in twenty minutes you want a ride?" Darry shouted, his voice reaching throughout the entire house. Evelyn and Juliette grimaced. "Gross, school sucks balls," Evelyn said a bit too loud. Most people in the house laughed.

Dallas all of a sudden seemed intrigued by these girls. They dressed like socs acted like greasers and are some lookers. Darry rolled his eyes at Evelyn's comment and Evelyn was left a blushing mess once she realized everyone heard her.

"I don't want to go to school Darry!" Ponyboy shouted coming out of his room. "Every day, it's every day with him damnit," Darry mumbled under his breath. Soda and Steve left spamming the door shut and signaling to Darry he was going to be late. He couldn't afford it and just left. "Stay home today then, kid!" He shouted closing the door as Ponyboy celebrated.

"Wait a minute what the fuck are you doing in school in June?" Jules asked, confused. In 2023 it was June 28th meaning most schools were out.
"I got one more week left." Ponyboy sighed and left. "Why is it that only pony's going?" Evelyn asked another question. "Because 'school sucks balls.'" Twobit mocked and laughed the same with Dallas as he lit a cigarette. Evelyn was left blushing and put her head on her hand.

Johnny on the other hand couldn't keep his eyes off of her. From when she lifted her head Johnny was stuck. Like his eyes wouldn't blink or move from her face looking at her as if she was the most desired thing he'd ever wanted. "It-It's because we're dropouts or we just don't attend school," Johnny answered Evelyn's question. Evelyn snapped her eyes at him and Johnny looked scared for a second. He was just lucky his tan skin covered his rosy, hot cheeks.

On the other hand, Evelyn was thinking the exact opposite. Same with Juliette. "Wait how old are y'all real quick?" Juliette asked, confused. She didn't know it was a common thing for people to just drop out of school.

"17," Dallas answered

"18," Twobit answered

"16," Johnny answered.