GOOD DAYS CHAPTER 24

Start from the beginning

She turned her head to kiss my cheek. "I'll tell you when I'm done, Oni. Be patient."

I pouted.

Beyoncé Knowles

Is it running if it's for a good cause?

I stared at Onika as she pouted. I ran my thumb over her lips before I kissed them. "Please stop pouting baby." I gripped her hand, trying to read her facial expression as I told her what was happening. We're moving, that's why I'm signing all these papers." Her face twisted in confusion, reminding me how sudden all of this was. I didn't make this decision because I wanted to.

Daya influenced me to move, saying it probably was the best option if I didn't want Onika to know about what was happening. She had her suspicions. Onika wasn't clueless or dumb. My baby was really smart. Which is why keeping shit from her is so hard. My best bet was to slowly get the stuff out of the house before she asked any questions.

Finding a home was harder than I thought it was. Especially one that I felt was right for Onika and I. As far as she knows, I just did this out of a surprise. She knows the history of my house and why it is the way it is. I hope I don't have to explain further than that. But judging by her demeanor, I might have to.

"Why?" It was a simple question. One that I probably could've answered quickly, but I just sat there.

Why was I running if there was nothing to run from? Why was I moving all of my things? What was the purpose of all of this? Even though I knew I could answer all of those questions, my fist clenched as I recalled my conversation with Kehlani. In such a short time, my life changed drastically. Even though a lot of bad things happened to me, I'm still here and I have the love of my life with me.

I ran my fingers through my hair, fluffing it out a bit. "Because I'm tired of this house. My connection to this house can't be fixed with redecorating." What I said was true. I can't fix it because it's already broken. Sometimes what's broken cannot be fixed. In this case, it's my safe space.

What happened to me here, won't happen to me in my new house.

I was gonna make sure of it.

"I guess that makes sense," Onika speaks quietly. "Will we move far away?" I nodded my head.

"We will." I kissed her forehead. "But. You'll still be able to see your friends." That's the one thing that made her smile. She held her teddy bear in her hands and got up from my lap clapping her hands.

"Yes! I'm gonna show them my new playroom! Ooh! Daddy can I have a big playroom?!" I laughed as I watched her ramble about what she wanted. "I want SO MUCH snacks! PLEASEEEEEEE!"