#118 Checo - "We have a problem"

NARRATOR POV: Sergio "Checo" Perez, always had a reputation for his incredible skills on the track, being called the "tire whisperer / master", but he was also known for his charismatic and carefree personality off it, being the prankster and joker that he is. Behind the scenes, there was one person at Red Bull, who had the challenging job of managing the whirlwind that was Checo: Marisol Garcia-Ruiz, his PR manager.

One sunny morning in Monaco, the day after the race, which Checo somehow managed to win, Marisol sat in her office, frantically reviewing Checo's schedule for the upcoming Grand Prix weekend, as well as checking all the media outlets for any unpleasant headlines. 
Which in turn made her have this, bad discovery.
-We have a huge problem- she muttered to herself, blindly reaching for her phone, while still watching the camera footage over and over again.
(M: Marisol, S: Checo)
M: Hola, Checo.
S: Hola!
M: When are you coming to my office?
S: Right about now, 5 minutes, give or take I think, why?
M: I need to talk to you- she simply said and hung up. The storm was slowny brewing...

....
Within minutes, Checo appeared at her office door with a relaxed grin on his face, completely unaware of the impending storm.
-Hola, Sol! What's on the agenda in the next hours?- he greeted her, happy, not quite hungover as she would expect him to be. Especially after winning Monaco. It must've been to his Mexican bloodline and their favouritizm towards tequila...?!
-Checo, we need to talk- Marisol sighed and gestured for him to take a seat, to which he complaid, taking one of the armchairs.
-What's going on? Something happened?- he furrowed his brows, a hint of concern crossing his usually cheerful expression.
-You've managed to get yourself into yet another situation. This time, it's with the media- Marisol got straight to the point, as there was no point in beating around the bush -And both of you know, that situations like that aren't welcome, especially now, with the issue at hand- she didn't have to name his grualing contract negotiations.
-What did I do this time?- Checo leaned back in his chair, his face a mixture of surprise and bemusement.
Marisol pulled up a news article on her computer screen and pointed to a headline that read, "Checo Perez's Wild Night Out in Monaco." and then played him a few seconds of the wild recording of his night adventures.
-Oh... that...- Checo chuckled nervously.
-Checo, this isn't a joke. Your behavior is affecting your image and the team's reputation. We can't afford distractions like this! Especially with your contract being unstable as it is!- Marisol raised an eyebrow, her patience wearing thin.
-I get it, Marisol. I messed up- Checo's grin faded, and he ran a hand through his hair -I created another problem for us, even though I already have one...
-No, you have a problem. I have an idiot who keeps getting into one- Marisol leaned forward, her tone stern, but with tinge of fondness.
-I promise, Sol, I'll be more responsible. It won't happen again- Checo winced at her words, realizing the gravity of the situation.
-I believe in you, Checo, and I know you can do better, as we never had a situation like this, but you have to understand that your actions affect not just you, but the entire team and your fans- Marisol nodded, her expression softening.
-I know. Perdon.
-De nada- they flashed each other small smiles -Now. We come up with game plan...

.....
Over the next few weeks, Checo worked diligently to mend his reputation. He became more focused on his racing, attending team events, and engaging with fans in a positive way. Marisol was there every step of the way, guiding him and ensuring that he stayed on track.
No mishap was in sight, his image squeky clean so far.
As the first Grand Prix weekend in Austria approached, Checo was a different man. He had learned from his mistakes and was determined to show the world a more responsible and mature side of himself.

After a successful race weekend on Red Bull Ring, where Checo secured a podium finish and a 1-2, Marisol approached him with a smile.
-You did it, Checo! A freaking 1-2! I knew you could do it!
Checo grinned, grateful for Marisol's unwavering support and tough love.
-I couldn't have done it without you, Sol. You were right, I had a problem, but I also had an amazing friend and manager to help me through it.
-Well, let's hope we have fewer problems and more podium finishes in the future- Marisol chuckled, hugging him again.
-Absolutely. From now on, it's all about winning on the track and being a role model off it- Checo nodded, his eyes filled with determination.

Their journey together had its ups and downs, but in the end, Checo and Marisol proved that with determination, trust, and a little tough love, even the wildest spirits could find their way to success and redemption, as the Mexican scored 15 podiums and 4 wins. It looked like the sun was shining on him, giving him a bit of a luck...
THE END

Let's see if Checo will have a better season than the last year...
I hope so..
Have a nice day! / Goodnight!
F.