Goddess pt4

After the cave incident, and whatever Fresh had to deal with, the chief had never allowed Jam too far from his sight. He was always close by, glaring at anyone who got too close with their own sneer. It was flattering, but the young woman also hated it. She hated how she couldn't go to the cave and look at murals. They seemed important, and if she was to understand where she was, she needed to look at them.

"Fresh, I want to go."

His amber-brown eye narrowed at her, an unknown emotion swirling in his eye. Her body was tense, shifting her weight from foot to foot. Clearly, she was nervous about saying those words, perhaps she had meant something else. Surely his Goddess wouldn't try and leave.

"Where?" If she truly meant to go somewhere, then it had to be somewhere along the island.

"The cave."

His eye widen, him naturally hunching down to her height, grabbing her by the biceps.

"No! Dangerous!" 

She yelped, her face twisting in pain. Her slim hands grabbed his forearms, her saying words in that strange language of hers. It was then he took notice of how tightly he was gripping her. Slowly, he released her.

He watched as she rubbed the red handprints, wincing as she did so. He forgot; she was still an intruder. She was still fragile.

These thoughts solidified that she shouldn't go to the World Cave. It was on unstable ground; it could sink or collapse! She may be a Goddess, but she was his Goddess! 

"The World Cave is dangerous. You will not go there." He hissed as a finality.

She bit lip and nodded, not looking him in the eye. His chest tightened in pain, hating seeing her in pain.

Gently he tilted her head up to look in his eye. Those mismatched eyes were far too gentle for his village, and yet he loved it. Softly, he placed his forehead against hers.

"I... Sorry," he spoke the word carefully, just like her. "I don't want you hurt, Goddess."

She gulped a little, those expressive eyes showing every weakness she had. Eventually, she pulled away, shaking her head.

"I-I forgive, but I need to go to Cave." She murmured.

"Why?" He stressed the word, his large hands now cupping her face.

Jam knew she should just back down, he was stronger than most normal people, even trained professionals! Still, she pushed. He hadn't meant to hurt her, compared to them she was like some sort of porcelain doll.

She did her best to explain to him why, her interest in it. His worried look never changed, and for a moment, she was certain he would refuse again. She was certain that she would have to sneak away somehow to satisfy her curiosity.

He squeezed his eye closed, pulling her close to press his head to hers. They stayed like that in silence for several minutes. Then he sighed, his body slumping a little.

"I see..." He murmured. "I wait with you then."

Jam blinked in surprise, but she gave him a sweet smile, thanking him with her eyes.

They waited the next day before making their way there. He was very hesitant on going in, fear openly being shown. It made her nervous, seeing how the tribe treated showing emotions other than anger.

The two walked carefully into the cave, taking their time with looking at the murals. It was interesting seeing how the world was thought to have been made.

"They," Jam pointed to the Gods of Destruction and Creation, "look like Mother and Father."

She shrugged it off and continued looking at other parts of it, not noticing the look Fresh gave her. Eventually they came to the mural with the strange Goddess.