No Way Out

The champions, including Oliver, assembled in a room downstairs, their nerves palpable. Trying to make sense of the entire situation, Oliver lagged behind the group, a puzzled expression etched onto his face. As he stepped into the room, the voices of the adults resonated faintly, their tones filled with anger and frustration. Though their words were indistinct, the intensity of their argument was unmistakable.

Suddenly, Dumbledore's commanding voice pierced through the chaos. "Oliver!" he called out, his tone surprisingly calm amidst the commotion. Oliver turned towards him, his heart pounding in his chest. The weight of the accusations still rested heavily upon him.

"Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire?" Dumbledore asked calmly.

"No, sir," Oliver replied.

Dumbledore's eyes bore into Oliver's, searching for any signs of deception. After a moment's pause, he continued his questioning. "Did you have an older student do it for you?"

Oliver shook his head, certainty lacing his every word. "No, sir. I would never manipulate the rules in such a way."

Dumbledore's gaze never wavered as he asked the last question, emphasizing its importance. "Are you absolutely sure?"

Oliver met Dumbledore's gaze unwaveringly, his voice filled with conviction. "Yes, sir. I am positive. I did not enter my name into the Goblet of Fire. I have no idea how it happened."

"He's lying!" Madam Maxime stormed into the room, her anger radiating through her words.

"The hell he is!" Moody thundered, fiercely defending Oliver. "The Goblet of Fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object. Only an exceptionally powerful Confundus Charm could have hoodwinked it. Magic well beyond the capability of a fourteen-year-old boy!"

A tense silence fell upon the room as all eyes turned towards Dumbledore, seeking guidance and resolution.

"What should we do?" McGonagall inquired, her voice laced with concern.

Dumbledore let out a heavy sigh, his gaze shifting from person to person, weighing the consequences of his decision. He spoke with a measured tone, knowing that his words would shape the path ahead. "The rules are absolute. The Goblet of Fire constitutes a binding magical contract." His eyes fixed upon Oliver, sadness and understanding dancing within them. "Oliver has no choice. He is... as of tonight... a Triwizard champion."

"But sir, I don't want to be a champion!" Oliver's voice trembled with desperation, his distress evident to all.

Snape's voice dripped with disdain as he hissed, "Then you shouldn't have entered your name into the Goblet!"

Dumbledore held up a hand, silencing Snape's taunting words.

"I'm sorry, Oliver, but you have no choice now," Dumbledore said gently, his voice filled with regret. The room fell silent, the weight of his words hanging heavy in the air.

Oliver's heart sank as he processed the reality of the situation. The words echoed in his mind, tearing at his resolve. How could this be? How could he be thrust into a dangerous competition against his will?

"But Professor," Oliver pleaded, desperation lacing his voice, "there must be something we can do. I never entered myself into the Goblet of Fire. You must believe me."

Dumbledore's eyes held a mixture of sympathy and determination as he leaned closer to Oliver. "I believe you, my boy. I know you did not submit your name for this tournament. However, the Goblet is enchanted to be infallible. Once it has made its selection, we are bound by its decision. The magical contract is sealed."