The Three Unforgivable Curses

Everyone sat in the defense against the dark arts classroom, waiting wearily for their new teacher, Professor Moody, who was ten minutes late to their first class. The air was thick with anticipation and curiosity, as the students whispered among themselves about the eccentric reputation of the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

"Where is this lunatic?" Ron exclaimed, his impatience evident in his tone.

Just then, the heavy, wooden door swung open, and Professor Moody made a grand entrance. He marched confidently into the classroom, his magical eye scanning the room with an intense gaze. Without missing a beat, he swiftly snatched a pen from his desk and hurled it directly at Ron.

"This 'lunatic' has a name, Mr. Weasley, and you will address me by it!" Professor Moody declared, his voice laced with a firmness that demanded respect from his students.

The entire class sat in stunned silence.

Moody gave the entire class a dirty look before turning around to write on the chalkboard, his actions commanding the attention of every student in the room.

Slowly, the familiar screech of chalk against the slate filled the classroom as Moody inscribed his name with precision. As the students eagerly waited, the chalk dust settled, revealing the words: "Alastor Moody. Ex Auror. Ministry malcontent. And your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"I am only here because Dumbledore personally asked me. End of story. Goodbye, the end. Any questions?" Moody declared.

The entire class sat in silence, their gazes fixed on Moody, their apprehension evident. The air was thick with an aura of intimidation, each student wary of the well-known reputation that preceded their new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

Moody paused for a moment, his steely gaze sweeping across the room, before he continued, "Well then. When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a more... practical approach. But first, how many of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

Hermione, usually eager to share her knowledge, hesitated. The weight of Moody's presence seemed to stifle her confidence. However, her thirst for academic excellence got the better of her, and she couldn't help but blurting out, "Three, sir," her voice trembling slightly.

"And they are so named?" Moody asked, turning back to the chalkboard.

"Because they are unforgivable," Hermione responded. "The use of any one of them will-"

"Earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, that is correct, Granger," Moody interrupted.

Moody started speaking again, his voice laced with a hint of anger.

"Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. But I say different!" he exclaimed, his fist slamming down on the desk, causing a loud thud that reverberated through the classroom.

"You need to know what you're up against! And you need to be prepared."

A creepy smile slowly spread across Moody's face as he leaned closer to the students, his darkened eye scrutinizing each one of them. "So, my young apprentices," he drawled, relishing the discomfort that filled the room, "which curse shall we explore first?"

The class fell silent yet again.

"MONTCLAIR!" Moody shouted, his voice echoing through the room.

"Uh, yes?" Oliver stammered, unsure of what was about to happen.

"Stand."

Oliver hesitantly obeyed, rising from his seat and feeling the weight of the class's eyes on him. He could hear his own heartbeat thundering in his ears, making it difficult to think clearly.