Sixteen

Mckenzie's POV

"Cant believe my family require me to be off a whole week from work with all their events." I say as I walked out of the house with Tara. She wore D'amelio jersey with bike shorts but they were almost hidden underneath the oversized jersey. She looked amazing as always. Her long hair swooped into a low ponytail a few strands covering her face. She had on brand new white airforces I bought her yesterday. Unlike me, she would carry on wearing the airforces that were covered in crunches and dirt. A few wears, I am buying a new one.

I was wearing a matching jersey Serena had all of us wear for the final game. Toby was estatic and we all felt the buzz and excitement for him. He worked hard.

I close the door behind me and watch Tara get into my car as she just laughed at me.

"Funny enough, my family, who we attend 0 events for have invited me to attend this charity gala." She tells me.

"Well, it would be ridiculous to say yes to all of these D'amelio commitments and say no to one thing they ask."

"I mean they were pretty shitty during our whole wedding. The constant bashing of me and my choices. The Mckenzie is a doctor why are you just a silly model. Which is very contradictory to them not wanting me to marry you?"

"Its not about me personally though is it Tara?" I say and she nods. "They barely parented me. Your parents even took me in for a whole year."

"Pretty wild they kicked you out." I chuckle. "But it was a great year. Our dreams came through of being together every minute of the day."

"Well, it didn't end great." She says as she runs her fingers through her ponytail.

"We never talk about that time." I say clearing my throat. It was true. She went back home. Graduation was awkward and terrible and we went to separate Colleges. Mostly on purpose. I would have given up Ivy League for Tara in a heart beat. To stay closer.

Being without Tara was insane. I was not sure what that meant for me. Spent almost every day with her since I was 14. She came on family holidays. We became on person. I grew up with her. I wasnt fully grown hence my poor decision making during that time. I spent the whole College experience trying to focus on studying, partying and girls. It was easier than I thought because I was extremely nervous having to talk to girls in that manner since all I had eyes for was Tara since I had started having eyes I guess.

Girls were just really into the sad pretty boy I guess. It didnt help that I looked like a million bucks and a trust fund kid with the disposable money and fast cars. Girls digged that too. But it was never enough. Just a temporary fix for the absence in me. Felt like I was grieving a death for someone who wasnt dead. Tara didnt call or text. We both pretended we had moved on. My family continued to be in contact and I would ask questions when I came home.

"Whats there to talk about Kenz?" She says. "We were stupid kids?"

"I am sorry if I hurt you with me being a stupid kid." I say and she nods. She leans over kisses my cheek.

"Do you want to have kids?" She asks and I look at her. I knew right now in the start of my career, I would be a terrible father, never home. Tara would hate me.

"Someday." I say sneaking a peak at her before focusing back on the road.

"Whats some day?"

"When were settled into our careers." I say. "I have a million people with the last name D'amelio and having a baby right now would be unfair."

"Unfair for you? Unfair for the baby?" She asks

"The baby would kind of hold me back?" I say honestly. Id have to sacrifice a lot? I want to be the best surgeon in New York one day."