Daybreaker by @Aptionia

Logline

Logline

After narrowly escaping death from the Dravonic Army with her best friend and her captain, a hopeful soldier ventures into a world she's never seen to defeat the God of War.

Blurb

Astania is a world brimming with magic and mysticism--and Aelisia has never experienced it. Raised as a stoic soldier, she's always known there was more to the world than the Dravonic Army offered. When her good heart nearly gets her killed, she escapes the army with both her friend and captain, throwing her into a world of war and wonder.

As Xomaldir, God of War and head of the Dravonic Army, nears closer to destroying Astania, Aelisia knows she needs to act. But she can't do it alone...

A soldier with a heart far too big.

A sharpshooter who has words of honey--if his anxiety doesn't stop him first.

A hotheaded brawler who can't walk away from a fight.

A bard with a knack for all things magic.

An apathetic demigod with an obligation.

A mysterious huntress with a craving for revenge.

Together, they set off to do the impossible: start a rebellion, and succeed where history has failed. But they know just how to triumph: finding a relic infused with the energy of the lamented goddess, Atix--the Daybreaker. It's the only weapon capable of killing Xomaldir, and if Aelisia and her friends want to save their home, they know they need to act fast.

Can six outcasts turn the tides of an ancient war written in blood? Or will evil truly prevail no matter what?

~Chapter One~

The command to kill had been issued, but Aelisia couldn't bring herself to listen.

She gripped the hilt of her Butrian sword, the blade warm against her torn gloves. Shoulder to shoulder with her squadmates, she marched toward Uprium, a seed of worry burying itself in her heart. She took one last look at the city before it would inevitably crumble into a burning mass of stone and concrete.

The eternal darkness above made the somber shadows plaguing the land even more suffocating on a dreary Suncrest night, shrouding Uprium in gloomy trepidation. A clap of thunder rumbled in the distance, shaking the rocky terrain. The city of blacksmithing laid upon a jagged mountain, the skyline filled with soaring stone buildings that reached for the heavens. Merchant stalls and dimly lit stores crowded the now empty streets.

Prepared to defend their home to their last breath, Uprium's own minuscule armed forces readied their weapons in the towers lining the city's walls.

In their brief, her superiors said the siege would be easy, as only a handful of Uprium's youth knew how to fight—a precaution for future attacks. It was a peaceful city that hadn't interfered with the Dravonic Army's plans for decades. But the soldiers had their orders: kill anything that moved, and take no prisoners. Astania needed to learn the price of disrespecting Him, and Uprium was to be the example. Too long have they been stingy with their tributes to the Dravonics; they were lucky He showed them mercy for this long.