AJ Arnault

MENTOR BIO

About me: I'm a thirty-something year old mental health professional who has a passion for telling stories. As a former waitress, turned military officer, turned SAHM, turned author, I like to say I've lived a hundred lives before finding writing. My fandoms include GOT, Star Trek, HP, Batman, and Star Wars.

✨✨✨

Writing background: I started my writing journey in 2019, when I started writing HPFF. I've come a long way since then, transitioning from writing witchy, paranormal fiction to contemporary romance. I joined the Stars Program in early 2021 and Wattpad Creators in 2022. I've completed eight novels since then, and am currently part of the Paid program on Wattpad and am writing an ongoing serial on YONDER.

✨✨✨

Mentor Style: I am a highly structure-focused mentor. Do not send me a submission unless you are ready to fix the structure of your book. We will correct plot arc and character arc problems and we will remove scenes that do not serve either of those goals.

Things I excel at: I teach mentees how to line edit and create a seamless reading experience. I also love to help writers "punch up" their dialogue.

I consider myself a student of first chapters, and I will make sure yours: 1. Starts in the right spot, and 2. Is immediate, engaging, and commercial.

Things I suck at: Copy editing. I will not fix your grammar. I have a Grammarly extension on every electronic I own to help me. You don't want me checking your commas and your onto vs. on to choices.

As a mental health professional, I understand that writing is a form of catharsis. Editing, however, is not. Editing is grueling and gut wrenching and emotional, especially if your story is based on personal experiences or trauma. I will help you understand why you're uncomfortable changing sections of your book and work with you to find a middle ground.

This is my 3rd season mentoring, and during that time I've worked with 4 amazing mentees—one of which is now a mentor herself, and is an agented author on submission! Another former mentee of mine indie published the book we worked on together. I have experience mentoring YA Fantasy, Contemporary Romance, and HPFF.

Read AJ Arnault's mentor wish list here ajArnault

👆      👆      👆