Chapter 6 - Leaving

Brick

"Make sure all your things get loaded on the bus," Coach's voice booms out over the parking lot. He's checking us off on the clipboard as he spots us and trying to direct us to board within a reasonable time.

I wait patiently for my teammates to get on the bus that will take us to Boston. There was some discussion if we should leave yesterday and spend two nights or leave this morning and hope we're not too tired to play.

In the end, I'm not sure if the decision was economical or just practical. But it was decided that we'd spend the morning on the bus and arrive in time to get settled and relax a bit before warm-ups.

I stand back as the parents who live nearby wish their sons good luck. Several girlfriends have made it here, despite the early hour and are hugging and kissing their boyfriends.

There's a small sting in my heart at the sight of the goodbye kisses and the reluctance to let go. I'm not sure I'll ever have that. I can't imagine being with one of the women I sleep with. And I'm not sure I could settle for a relationship where I can't get the satisfaction I crave. I don't think that would be fair to me or her.

So, I'm left pining for something I can never have while everyone around me flaunts their happiness.

I ignore the couple of puck bunnies that look like they still haven't gone to bed and get on the bus. With any luck, I'll be able to take a nap on the road.

I grab my phone and type up a quick text to my mom, letting her know I'm on my way to the first game of the season. It takes her only a few seconds to answer and wish me luck. It's our unspoken agreement that most of our communication is made up of a quick text and answer.

She has always been the type of person that loves to stay busy. Her family comes from money, so she never had to work. But she chooses to spend her time on different charities. Apart from the beautification committee, she has a passion for real estate. She works on restoring old buildings and making sure they get landmark status. It's well known that all the developers within a day's travel hate her.

But she always makes time for that one text.

When I was a kid, she would carve out time for bonding with me. Most of my childhood, I was surrounded by the best nannies money could buy, and I could go days without seeing her when she was deep into one of her projects. But every Sunday it was just her and me. And she would give me her full attention.

Everybody knew not to try to get in touch with her on a Sunday. One time, someone turned up at our house to ask her something on one of our days and she tore him a new one. I have never seen her so angry, before or after.

To the world, she might have seemed a neglectful mother who was more devoted to her causes than to me. But I always knew she loved me and valued me. We still talk every Sunday.

She always made me feel wanted and loved, despite my father never being part of my life. When she was twenty-seven and still not married, her parents had almost given up hope. Then one day, she announced she was pregnant and she would be keeping it and not marrying the father.

It almost broke the family apart, but my mother is a force to be reckoned with and as soon as they saw her determination, they knew there was nothing they could do.

My mom loves to tell the story of how her father was furious from the moment she told him she was pregnant until the moment he held me in his arms. In one instance, all that anger disappeared, and he transitioned from a disappointed father to a devoted grandfather.

It almost killed him when I informed them I was going to UNI. They did their best to convince me to stay close by, but I knew UNI was the best move for me to get into the NHL. Even if being so far away from them is hard, I know I made the right decision.

Most of the guys are on the bus and I sigh and bring up my bag.

"Hey, Brick," one of the new kids says. I want to say his name is Tom. Or Tony. "How come you didn't have anyone seeing you off?"

I rummage through my bag for the book I'm currently reading. It's a spy thriller with a hint of romance.

The kid is still waiting for a reply, so I glare at him. He goes pale and I wonder how intimidating I must look to cause that reaction.

JD laughs softly behind him. Tom-Tony turns to him. Dennis? I should know his name.

"Did I say something wrong?" he asks in a not quite low enough voice.

"You might as well learn the truth about the bearded giant." JD's comment has me rolling my eyes. "The reason he's nicknamed Brick isn't because he's a wall in the goal. It's because he shows about as much emotion and is as communicative as a brick wall." He laughs, but he's not wrong.

"Oh." The new kid is bright red now.

"You're fine, Dustin. Just don't play poker with him," JD says and waves the kid off to his seat.

Dustin. I should remember that.

I find my bookmark and open the book. It's going to take a while for the guys to settle down, so I might as well read until it's quiet enough for me to take a nap.

"You know, he only wants to connect." JD is in the seat opposite, leaning slightly towards me.

"I'm sure the kid will survive," I say.

JD yawns. "Fuck, I'm hungry. I should have gotten up earlier."

I sigh and reach into my bag. JD likes to sleep as late as possible and then rush through the motions and out the door. The large tupperware is still slightly warm and I open the lid and hold it out for him.

"You're a lifesaver." He grabs a couple of the savory egg muffins and gobbles them up. "These are good," he says. "Most of the guys just bring protein bars or something."

"I know," I say. "And most of them have no idea what's in them or how much extra sugar and unhealthy fats they're consuming."

JD grabs another two muffins and I close the lid and put them away.

"It wouldn't kill you to loosen up every once in a while. Eat something unhealthy. Let yourself go."

"I'm going to be a pro athlete. It's my job to take care of my body. And if you want a sustainable career you should start paying more attention."

"There is such a thing as going overboard." JD shakes his head and eats the last of the muffins.

I shrug and get back to my book. I'm in this for the long haul. All I want is a long career as an NHL goalie. If cutting out fast food and beer will get me there, then that's not a sacrifice to me. It's just what I'll do.