24|Kiara

It has been a week and nothing happened since the camera/broken glass door incident at JJ's house.

We have been hunting down the bartender from the midsummers who served the drinks and the guy who came into the hospital but it's like the fell from the face of the Earth.

I always thought OBX was small but now it feels like New York City. I mean seriously, we can't go door to door and look for them. No judge will give us the warrants for that and also there's the fact FBI is trying to keep it quiet from the public that there's psycho running around. My money is still on Rafe but we have no proof what's so ever to even search his house. I doubt he would even have evidence there to begin with though. However, I know him. I know what he's done, I was there when he killed Peterkin. He tried to drown Sarah. He helped Ward to get away with murder and fake his own death. I also don't have any proof of any of that. We tried, but we failed. It's just our word against him.

"What about the cases Shoup closed and they were about to get to trial or go for an arrest. Or maybe some case he was witness to." I turn on my chair and look at Hailey who's sitting behind me.
"Didn't we establish that the person killed Shoup just to get you back in Outer Banks?" she turns to me too.
"Maybe it was both. This person is smart, why don't kill a bird in one go." I shrug.
"I mean we are in dead end now, it's worth the shot." she nods.
"I'll go talk to Amelia." she gets up and walks away.

"Hey! Are you going to change The Six?" I shout at Grayson who's leaving with 5 other FBI agents.
"Yup." he nods at me.
"Tell JJ I'll probably be late tonight so they don't need to wait up. We might get a lead." I say to him.
"Sure thing, Carrera." he smiles and they walk outside dividing into 3 cars and head to John B's house because they are having dinner together tonight and the kids wanted play date.

"Good idea, Carrera! Let's get to it, I'll just make a phone call outside and then help you." Amelia walks outside too.
"Sure!" I get up and Hailey and I go into the back room where are all the cases stored. We used the card key and walk inside.

We go through case in the past 10 years and pick up those where Shoup was listed as witness putting them aside so we could go through them later.

It takes us a while and my phone starts to ring in my pocket.
"Carrera." I say without looking at the ID.
"Maybank!" Jayj states. I roll my eyes.
"What's up?" I ask leaning against the wall.
"Grayson just told me you'll be late tonight and that you might have a lead?" he ask.
"Maybe, I had an idea so we are looking into it. I'll fill you up tomorrow if we get anything." Hailey nods at me that we are done here and we can go back to our desks.

I grab like 20 cases in one hand and open the door, stopping when I see the bartender standing in the middle of the room with bomb vest and dead man switch in his hand looking right back at me.
"Kie!" Jayj snaps me out of my trans.
"I gotta go. I'll call you later, okey?" I say and try not to spook him that somethings going one.
"Okey. Be safe." he says and I hang up.

"I want the cases or I blow this police station!" the bartender shouts.
"No one has to get hurt if you just give it to me and let me walk away." he adds. Everyone in the room has a hand on their gun but if they shoot, we blow up.
"Okey." I nod and take a step forward.
"NO! You don't move! I don't trust you! Someone else bring it to me!" he shouts and I notice he's sweating and he's nervous.
"Okey, but you need to calm down." I state.
"How can I?!" he shouts again and then take a deep breath. It's almost like he doesn't want to do this.
"What's your name?" I ask calmly.
"Sam. Sam Harris." he looks into my eyes terrified.
"You don't want to do this, right? They are making you?" I say.
"Don't talk to me! Just give me the cases and all of us gets to go home today." he shakes his head. I move my hand and switch on my radio.
"Are they threatening your family?" I ask him.
"Sam Harris, I think I heard about your dad. He works in the harbor right?" I say so anyone who's listening could do a back round check. Hopefully Amelia.
"Give me the cases! Now! Or you kill them! You kill us!" he steps forward and stumbles.

I watched a lot of films and always thought they exaggerate when there's a slow motion scene just to make it more dramatic, to keep the viewers on their toes. But this moment feels just like that. Sam stumbles and let go of the switch. It starts to fall, everyone moves one way or the other. Their faces go through so much emotions in the three seconds before the switch hits the ground.

"Get back!" someone shouts and everyone moves. I meet Sam's eyes before the bombs on his body goes boom. Hailey pulls me back and the door closes in front of me but that doesn't help.

Now, it's the other way around. So much happens in one second like when you speed up some boring part in the film. I hear screams, glass shattering, the door are on fire, my ears ring, we are on the ground under something heavy and my whole body hurts.

I hear sirens, I smell fire and I feel like I can't breathe through the smoke.
"Hailey?" I ask but my voice is barely whisper. I try to reach my radio but it's not behind my belt, just like my phone.

I'm traped.